Remote Desktop Connection (Windows - GlobalProtect)
Instructions on how to use the Windows Remote Desktop client to remotely connect to an SMPH staff computer.
- Click and run the WiscVPN GlobalProtect desktop app.
Note: If you need to install GlobalProtect see the following KB article:
WiscVPN - Downloading and Installing the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client
- Enter the following Portal: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu with your NetID credentials, then click Connect.
Note: To confirm that your are now on the VPN you should see Status: Connected in the GlobalProtect window.
- Now that the VPN is connected, open and run the Remote Desktop Connection application.
Note: The Remote Desktop App can be found, by clicking the Start Menu button (windows logo - taskbar), and typing "Remote Desktop Connection" in the search field.
- Enter the IP address (Ex. 128.104.###.###) of the specific work computer you are trying to connect to.
Note: To find out the IP address you can usually do a google search (while on the work computer) for the phrase “What is my IP”
Note: Your work computer must be powered on for the connection to work.
- Enter your network credentials (Work computer username and password).
If you are on the MedSchool Active Directory (most of HSLC staff) enter MSAD\ before the username.
If you are on the Campus Active Directory (Basic Sciences, Oncology, PHS/PHI, etc.) enter AD\ before username.
- IF, you see the Certificate message, check the box next to “Don’t ask me again…” and click Yes.
- You should now be logged into your work computer, via the Remote Desktop Connection window.