Topics Map > Technical Support > Remote Access > Community Servers
Connecting to LINCOMM with PuTTY (Windows)
Connecting to Linux Community Servers (LINCOMM) with Putty on Windows
Please note: If you are computer is not part of the WIRED Taylor Hall network, you will need to setup Campus VPN for Windows BEFORE doing the steps below.
- Download and install the PuTTY client (64-bit Windows MSI)
- Run the PuTTY client
- Check the Community Server Availability Dashboard to determine which machine you wish to connect to.
- Type in Host Name lincomm<#>.aae.wisc.edu and select SSH
- Go to Connection->SSH->X11
Select Enable X11 forwarding
- Click Open
- Select Yes for the SSH Fingerprint
- Enter your NetID for login as: and your NetID password for the password.
You may receive a notice that ".Xauthority does not exist". That is a normal message the first time you login to each LINCOMM server.