Using SecureFX for Web Publishing
Download and install SecureFX from the DoIT TechStore.
- If you're faculty or staff, you're looking for the Faculty/Staff download link near the bottom of the page.
- If you're a student, you're looking for the Student download link.
- Click on the appropriate link and you'll be taken to a page where you can login with your NetID.
- Once you've logged in with your NetID, look for a little blue link that says "View Free Software List". Click on that link and a new list should appear on the page.
- "SecureFX for Windows (32-bit)" should be the top item in the list. Click on the Download link to start downloading the software to your computer. If you know that you have a 64-bit installation of Windows, then choose the "SecureFX for Windows (64-bit)" option. If you're at all unsure, select the 32-bit option.
- Once you have the software installed, launch SecureFX.
- You will likely be faced with a dialog box labeled Connect. There is a row of buttons across the top of the box and you're interested in the third one from the left. If you hold your cursor over it, you should see the "New Session" label. Click that button.
- The New Session Wizard should start.
- There should be a Protocol choice in the middle of the Wizard. Select SFTP and hit Next.
- The information to fill out the next screen:
- Hostname: www.botany.wisc.edu
- Port: 22
- Firewall: None
- Username: As provided by Botany IT
Once you have gone through the setup steps above, you can simply access your web site by launching SecureFX from the Start Menu.
- Click on the www.botany.wisc.edu session (or whatever you named it above)
- Click on the Connect button.
Updating Content Using SecureFX
- Open a connection to the server using the one of the relevant procedures above.
- You should now have a split SecureFX window. The left hand of the screen shows what's on your computer. The right hand of the screen shows what's on the server. Your website is contained within the htdocs folder.
- You can move files and folders up to the server by dragging them from the left part of the screen to the right. You can right-click on files and folders to rename, delete, or copy them.
- Once you're done making your updates, simply close SecureFX.
↑ Up: Web Publishing