Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) > Human Subjects Research Training
Instructions for Completing CITI Human Participants Research Training
All personnel listed on human research studies approved by one of the UW campus IRBs must take CITI Human Participants Research Training using a UW Madison NetID.
Generally, personnel listed on studies reviewed by the Education and Social/Behavioral Sciences IRB should complete the UW Social and Behavioral Course, and personnel listed on studies reviewed by the Health Sciences or Minimal Risk IRB should complete either the UW Biomedical Course OR the VA Human Participants Protections Course (NOTE: VA Course is required when listed on a VA study).
For individuals who do not have a NetID:The first step towards completing CITI Training is obtaining a UW Madison NetID. The links below have information on obtaining a NetID. Click on the link that corresponds to the IRB that is providing review of the research.
- Information on obtaining a NetID for those submitting to the ED/SBS IRB
- Information on obtaining a NetID for those submitting to the HS/MR IRBs
Completion Instructions for First Time TraineesThe following instructions are meant for those accessing CITI for the first time. Information regarding refresher training can be found here.
- Access the CITI program website via the UW CITI portal using your NetID and password.
- Click on the “Add a Course” link under the "University of Wisconsin Madison Courses" menu. Complete question 2 using the guidance provided within the question, and click submit at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have the relevant courses in your account, click on the course title (either "UW Biomedical Course" or "UW Social & Behavioural Course") to begin the course and follow the instructions within CITI to complete your training. On average, it takes two hours to complete a basic course. If needed, courses can be completed in multiple sessions.
- Successful completion requires a composite score of 85% on the quizzes. Quizzes can be repeated in order to achieve this score.
Training courses were created in CITI for researchers looking to supplement their basic Human Participants Training. These courses contain modules focused on the course topic. You can add supplemental courses to your account as appropriate for your type of research or training needs. Use step 2 in the instructions above to add the desired courses (Supplemental Training courses are added via question 5 on the "Add a Course" page).
If you have completed CITI training without using your current UW Madison NetID or completed training at another institution, please visit this page for information on how to have that training linked with your NetID account.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at email@example.com or 608-262-1703. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.