Training & Education
Health Sciences IRBs for Beginners Workshops
The Health Sciences IRBs for Beginners Workshop provides training on the HS IRBs' processes, regulatory approval process, resources, and ARROW online application system. The two-hour workshop is held several times each year, and it is meant for individuals new to the HS IRBs process or for those looking for help on how to effectively submit an IRB application. The workshop consists of two sections meant to provide the regulatory framework and technical skills to submit an application.Dates and times for the next training sessions will be announced here as they are determined.
UW-Madison Online Training for Researchers
The UW-Madison requires Human Subjects Protection training for UW personnel engaged in human subjects research and HIPAA Privacy Rule training for those who are within the Health Care Component of the university of part of the Affiliated Covered Entity UW-Madison and UW Health). Below is information about how to access the required training:
- Training Offered Through CITI
- Complete the Human Subjects Protection training by following the instructions on this page.
- If applicable, complete the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training by following the instructions on this page.
- Additional Information:
- Review and print training certificates by searching the Research Certification Course Completion Database (requires UW-Madison NetID).
- If you have completed CITI training without using your current UW Madison NetID or completed training at another institution, please visit this page for information on how to have that training linked with your NetID account.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule Training
- Basics of Conducting Clinical Research at UW Health
Independent IRB Training Information
- The Reliance Team recommends training for all new independent IRB users. Information about training sessions and how to contact the Reliance Team can be found here.
New to Research?
- Information for New Investigators
- HRPP Training and Education
- Summary of Investigator Responsibilities
- Principal Investigator Status for UW–Madison Studies Involving Human Participants
- Outside Activities Reports/Conflict of Interest Committee
- To arrange a free consultation with an IRB staff reviewer, please complete the Consultation & Group Presentation Request. Although not part of the official review and pre-review process, consultations are a convenient way to obtain expert assistance and advice regarding the IRB submission and review. Researchers new to the IRB submission process may particularly benefit from the consultations service.
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) Education and Training Programs