Training & Education
Health Sciences IRBs Training Opportunities
Upcoming IRB Presentations
Health Sciences IRBs: Common Rule and IRB Submission Overview
The Common Rule and IRB Submission Overview presentation (formally IRB for Beginners) provides an overview of the regulatory requirements for conducting human subject research at the UW and the IRB submission process for projects requiring review by the Health Sciences IRB. The goal of the presentation is to provide research personnel with the basics for how to successfully submit an IRB application.
The next presentation is scheduled for Thursday, June 27th from 2-3 PM in room 1309 of the Health Sciences Learning Center. You can register through the OTM Catalog available here. If you have any questions or issues registering for this presentation please contact Jake Rome at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional research training opportunities please check out the Human Research Protection Program's training website.
UW-Madison Online Training for Researchers
The UW-Madison requires Human Subjects Protection training for UW personnel engaged in human subjects research and HIPAA Privacy Rule training for those who are within the Health Care Component of the university of part of the Affiliated Covered Entity UW-Madison and UW Health). Below is information about how to access the required training:
- Training Offered Through CITI
- Complete the Human Subjects Protection training by following the instructions on this page.
- If applicable, complete the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training by following the instructions on this page.
- Additional Information:
- Review and print training certificates by searching the Research Certification Course Completion Database (requires UW-Madison NetID).
- If you have completed CITI training without using your current UW Madison NetID or completed training at another institution, please visit this page for information on how to have that training linked with your NetID account.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule Training
- Basics of Conducting Clinical Research at UW Health
Independent IRB Training Information
- The Reliance Team recommends training for all new independent IRB users. Information about training sessions and how to contact the Reliance Team can be found here.
New to Research?
- Information for New Investigators
- HRPP Training and Education
- Summary of Investigator Responsibilities
- Principal Investigator Status for UW–Madison Studies Involving Human Participants
- Outside Activities Reports/Conflict of Interest Committee
- To arrange a free consultation with an IRB staff reviewer, please complete the Consultation & Group Presentation Request. Although not part of the official review and pre-review process, consultations are a convenient way to obtain expert assistance and advice regarding the IRB submission and review. Researchers new to the IRB submission process may particularly benefit from the consultations service.
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) Education and Training Programs