Topics Map > News and Updates > Newsletters
HS-IRBs News December 2013
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 5, Number 12, December 2013
HS-IRBs Office Closures
The HS-IRBs office will be closed the following days: December 24th, 25th, and 31st as well as January 1st. The ARROW helpline also will not be staffed on these days.
New and Improved Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) Website
UW-Madison's HRPP website has been significantly revised to make it more streamlined and accessible to study teams. HRPP policies are now searchable and many links to resources have been updated and reorganized. If you have any questions about the new website or have trouble finding any documents, please contact Ryan Moze at email@example.com.
Have Questions? "Ask the IRB" Is Here To Help
If you have questions about the IRB review process, policies, or procedures, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help. This email address is monitored by IRB staff reviewers, who are generally able to respond within 1-2 business days.
Update on the HS-IRBs' Education and Outreach Survey
Thank you very much to the over 150 people who have took the time to complete the HS-IRBs' education and outreach survey! This feedback will be very helpful in shaping future HS-IRBs education and outreach services. Results of the survey and plans for new outreach activities (including IRB workshops on special topics) will be shared in future newsletters.
Reminder: FAQ Available on IRB Administrative and Pre-Review Processes
Researchers who would like to better understand the HS-IRBs administrative and pre-review processes are encouraged to read our FAQ on What Happens After a New Application Is Submitted to the Health Sciences or Minimal Risk IRB: IRB Administrative Review and IRB Pre-Review. If you have questions about reviewer notes received during pre-review, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your submission for assistance.
Five Year Renewal Notifications for 2009 and 2010 Studies/Protocols
Beginning in January, study teams will begin receiving five year renewal notifications for both 2009 and 2010 protocols. Study teams are reminded that replacement applications must be submitted no later than 90 days prior to expiration of IRB approval for UW studies and 150 days prior to expiration of IRB approval for VA studies.
Reminder: 2014 Dates for IRB for Beginners Workshops
The HS-IRBs office has scheduled the first IRB for Beginners Workshops for 2014. These 90-minute workshops will be held in the HSLC computer lab and will give participants a first-hand view of the resources available on the HS-IRBs website as well as basic tools and tips for the ARROW electronic application submission system. The workshops will also introduce participants to the IRB’s review process and procedures. This workshop is designed to help people who are new to the HS-IRBs review process. This workshop is scheduled for the following dates:
- Thursday January 30th 9:30 - 11:00 AM (HSLC Room 2121)
- Tuesday February 4th 1:00 - 2:30 PM (HSLC Room 2121)
- Wednesday February 12th 3:00 - 4:30 PM (HSLC Room 2121)
Registration is required. Please email Brooke Mechelke at email@example.com to reserve your spot in one of the future sessions. Space is limited.
Reminder: Next ARROW Open Lab on January 30th
The HS-IRBs office has previously held open lab
sessions for study teams seeking assistance with using ARROW. We are again
offering an open lab for anyone who wants help using ARROW. No formal training
will be offered, but HS-IRBs staff will be available to answer any questions
study teams have about ARROW.
The ARROW open lab will be held on Thursday, January 30th from 11AM to 11:30AM in the HSLC computer lab (HSLC 2121). Registration is required and capped at 20 participants. To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? We're Here to Help!
Whether you have a question about a specific protocol, a general question about the submission process, or need clarification about research policy, we have several ways you can reach us.
- Urgent issues (e.g., subject safety concerns), please call our main line (608-263-2362) and ask to speak with the staff reviewer on call for the day. Please do NOT use email for these kinds of questions.
- General IRB questions, please call our main line (608-263-2362) to speak with the staff reviewer on call or email email@example.com. These are the quickest ways to get help with general questions.
- Specific questions regarding the status of your review and/or reviewer notes, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application.
- Help with single IRB review and reliance questions, email irbreliance.wisc.edu.
- Assistance with ARROW or technical questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Newsletter and other IRB updates, please sign up for the general HS-IRBs listserv by emailing email@example.com.
- WIRB updates, please sign up for the WIRB listsserv by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a request to be put on the list.
- Consultations: For investigators seeking assistance on a specific program or application, HS-IRBs staff are available for individual consultations. To request a consultation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.
- Presentations: The HS-IRBs office is available to provide the research community with presentations and trainings on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.