Topics Map > News and Updates > Newsletters
HS IRBs News December 2019
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News/Volume 11, Number 11, December 2019
IRB Leadership Update
When the IRB offices began the administrative migration to the OVCRGE, it was anticipated that the offices would eventually report to a single, high level IRB Director. We will begin the search for the new IRB Director in early 2020 and Lynn Haynes, the Director of the Office of Research Compliance, will be serving as the interim until a permanent Director has been hired. The primary supporting leadership within both the HS IRBS and ED/SBS Offices (Carol Pech, Gretchen Anding, and Casey Pellien) will remain the same. Beginning in January 2020, Nichelle Cobb, a leader in the national SMART IRB project will focus her efforts on the SMART IRB and other projects in SMPH/ICTR and will no longer be the HSIRBs office director.
- Questions that require an HSIRBs director-level communication should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions about the leadership re-organization should be sent to OVCRGE Communications, Natasha Kassulke, Natasha.email@example.com, 608-890-4728.
HS IRBs Office Closures
Our office will be closed the following dates:
- December 24-25th and 31st
- January 1st
Revised IRB Fee Policy
To limit the number of studies for which IRB fees are assessed, the IRB fee policy has again been revised. With this revision effective December 1, 2019, IRB fees will only be assessed for industry-sponsored studies already approved by a UW-Madison IRB. Industry-sponsored studies submitted after December 1, 2019 will NOT be charged IRB fees if reviewed by a UW-Madison IRB. The one-time compliance fee for industry-sponsored studies ceded to a commercial IRB still applies.
Questions? Please contact Lynn Haynes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Expanded Commercial IRB Options for Researchers
Effective immediately, use of a commercial IRB has been expanded to include the following:
- Fully industry-sponsored studies for which UW-Madison is the only site must be reviewed by a commercial IRB. (Study teams receiving funding through a SBIR/STTR grant should consult with the RELIANT team (email@example.com) to determine the best option for IRB review for their study.)
- Partially industry-sponsored studies may use a commercial IRB (with the applicable compliance fee) or may be submitted to a UW-Madison IRB (no IRB fees will be charged).