Topics Map > VA Research
Topics Map > Guidance
VA Research - Policy and Guidance
Policy and Guidance for research involving the Madison VA
Requirement for separate VA and UW-Madison IRB applications
Effective immediately, study teams planning to conduct studies jointly with VA AND UW-Madison MUST submit separate IRB applications for the VA and UW-Madison components when they are distinct (e.g., study procedures for UW subjects only occur at the UW and those for VA subjects only occur at the VA). This requirement is being instituted primarily because of the increasing complexity of VA regulations as well as how compliance with those regulations must be monitored. No additional IRB fees will apply when submitting separate applications for the VA and UW-Madison “arms” of a particular study. Only the UW-Madison component of the study will be subject to IRB fees, as applicable.
VA Training Requirements
VA Research personnel are subject to all general VHA training requirements, as well as research-specific training requirements depending on the nature of their research (human, animal, laboratory). All new Research employees must complete the one-time Research Information Security 201 training. All Research employees must annually complete Privacy Awareness Training and Information Security Training.
- VA Research: Health Sciences IRBs Policy for IRB Review of Human Subjects Research that Falls Under VA Purview
- Quick Reference Guide for VA Research
- Endorsement and Approval of VA Research
- Outline of the Endorsement Process
- VA Informed Consent Guidance
- Checklist for VA Regulations for IRB Review
- Workflow for VA Research Studies
- VHA Research Handbooks and Directives