Who may serve as a principal investigator on a protocol?
Frequently Asked Question
- Individuals with a UW-Madison faculty appointment
- Individuals with a UW-Madison Clinical/Health Sciences (CHS) appointment
- UW Hospital and Clinics' (UWHC) employees with the approval of their supervising UWHC Vice President
- Individuals who have an appointment at the William S. Middleton VA Hospital with approval of the VA Research & Development Committee
- UW-Madison unclassified staff (academic and limited appointees) who have obtained approval of their Chair/Director
- UW-Madison postdoctoral scholars, visiting faculty, or visiting academic staff who have obtained approval of their Chair/Director
- Individuals with an emeritus appointment, provided they have evidence of a volunteer appointment (also called a "zero dollar appointment")
For more information, see the below document.
HRPP: Principal Investigator Status for UW–Madison Studies Involving Human Participants
Link to Request for Approval to Serve as PI on a Human Subjects Protocol
HRPP: HRPP Guidance, Forms and Resources