KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Customizing Live Site Messages
You must have full administrative permissions in your space to perform these steps. This means access to the Documents, Settings, and Users tabs.
What is a Error Message?
An Error message is an HTTP standard response displayed when a server cannot locate the web page requested. It happens when your KB site encounters:
- A mistyped URL
- Copy-and-paste URL mistake
- Broken links or truncated links on other web pages
- Broken links or truncated links in an email message
- Moved or deleted KB pages
Design a Custom Error Message for your KB Site
Display a customized error message to include:
- a more natural description with language that is friendly and inviting
- your KB site's branding
- link leading to helpful information
Navigate to the Settings Tab > Custom Messages link
You will be led to the Custom Messages page. You will be presented with six expandable panels, each with text fields in which you can create/modify distinct sets of instructions for the Internal and the External KB Site.
- Internal Site Search Success Message
- Internal Site Search Failure Message
- Internal Site Page Not Found Message
- External Site Search Success Message
- External Site Search Failure Message
- External Site Page Not Found Message
Enter text, links, images, tables, etc. in these text fields using HTML formatting.
Note: If you would like to add this type of content but are unsure of how to format it in HTML, you can open a new doc and use the WYSIWYG editor to format the content as desired. Then, switch to the HTML editor / code view to copy out the HTML that was generated for you.
How to Avoid a Search Yielding an Error Message
Admins can run the KB Broken Link Checker
For some inspiration for creating your page, check out this article!