Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Other Curricular Matters
Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Other
Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Evaluation > Assessment of Student Learning
L&S Guidance for Final Exams During Spring 2020 Covid-19 Disruption
We know the transition to remote instruction has required instructors to adapt their approaches to final exams, projects, or other cumulative evaluation scheduled for final exam week. If you have made or plan to make changes to your final exam or other final cumulative assessment, please:
- Clearly communicate to students about any changes to the final exam and make associated changes to the syllabus.
- Think through student workload implications of changes; try to avoid changes that require students to invest more time than they would have studying for and completing the originally scheduled exam.
- Continue finding ways to consider the variety of challenges we know students are facing (internet connectivity, living in different time zones, not having a dedicated or quiet place for coursework, etc) We’re grateful for your continued patience, flexibility, and creativity for working with students who are experiencing these issues in a high-stakes environment.
- Some changes to final exams (such as adding an exam or changing the time) require school/college approval or notifying the Registrar’s Office. Please see Spring 2020 Exams & Finals for more information. Some highlights:
- You may change a final exam time to be asynchronous and over a longer time period without L&S approval - please ensure it is inclusive of the original exam date/time.
- If you make a change to no longer offer a final exam (or final project that will be due at final exams), you may notify the curricular representative for your department, who can relay the message to the Registrar’s Office.
- Student accommodations should be reviewed and may need to be adapted or adjusted for a remote environment, depending on your course content and exam. Contact students if changes to accommodations are appropriate.
- Changes to Exam Times and Time Conflicts: As always, if an instructor changes an exam time after students are enrolled, they must accommodate alternate exam times for students that let them know of an exam conflict. If you have questions or concerns about a specific student request, contact L&S Academic Deans’ Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 2: Student study and review; no classes or exams may be scheduled.
- April 18-May 1: No final exams or other comprehensive final projects or activities may be scheduled during these 2 weeks prior to final exam week.
- Thursday, May 14th, 11:59 pm: deadline for submitting Spring 2020 final grades.