Topics Map > Research > Extramural Support > Post-Award
Topics Map > Research > Extramural Support > Gifts

Depositing Gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects

Overview of depositing gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects, including how to determine if it is a gift, and whether it goes to UW Foundation or a UW 233- Project.

The UW receives money from many sources and in many forms.  Grants from a sponsor are 144- or 133- funds, not gift money.  If you think you have a donation, then you'll need to determine if it truly is a gift, and then process it either as a deposit to a departmental account at the UW Foundation or as a deposit directly into a 233- project.

Is it a Gift or Grant?

It's a GRANT if the giver requires detailed financial reports reports, claims rights, applies restrictions, expects specific deliverables, sets an end date, and/or can take back the money.
  • Start a WISPER record and process like a proposal.
  • Contact L&S pre-award (Linda Neusen, supervisor).

It's a GIFT if the money is unrestricted, for general purposes, and is irrevocable.
  • Process as a gift with L&S Gift, Grants & Trust (Ben Ball).
  • If the check is payable to "UW Foundation," use the UW Foundation Gift Deposit Form (Log in, hover over Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Gift & Special Deposit" from the pull down menu) to deposit it into a departmental UW Foundation fund.
  • If the check is payable to "UW-Madison" or "Dept of _____," use the Gift Check Routing Form to deposit it into a departmental 233- project.
  • Attach documentation to your submission that proves the money is a gift.  This documentation could be a copy of the correspondence from the donor, a letter, card, note, or email that indicates this is a gift or donation.  Sometimes a donor will write "gift" or "donation" in the memo of the check, this is sufficient documentation.  This documentation becomes part of the record that proves the money was a gift and not a grant.
  • What if there is no correspondence from the donor?  Attach a copy of the gift acknowledgment letter.  The department is required to send a gift acknowledgement letter to the donor, so you should prepare this letter whether or not you need it as documentation for your gift deposit.  Here's more info about gift acknowledgment:
  • If you want to trasnfer funds to a UW 233 account, please see

See Also:

Keywords:Gift, Donor, gift funds, 233, 233 accounts   Doc ID:21947
Owner:Benjamin B.Group:L&S Administrative Gateway
Created:2011-12-27 09:14 CSTUpdated:2019-12-02 08:34 CST
Sites:L&S Administrative Gateway
Feedback:  0   1