Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Graduate Student Administration
Topics Map > Academic & Curricular Administration > Personnel - Budgetary and Curricular Intersections > Teaching Assistant Budgets
L&S Graduate Support Guarantee Requests
This document details the process of completing and submitting the request to extend graduate support guarantees.
Each January, L&S issues a call for requests to extend long-term support guarantees to incoming graduate students or continuing graduate students who were not previously given support guarantees.
Documents & Deadlines
- Request for long-term support guarantees
- Support guarantee letter templates
- Deadline for 2020-21 academic year
- Monday, March 2, 2020
- Naming convention:
- Support Guarantee Worksheet: Yourdepartmentname_guarantee request 2020-21
- Support template(s): Yourdepartmentname_guarantee template 2020-21_other identifier as needed (incoming PhD/Masters, etc).
- Submit the spreadsheet and your support guarantee template(s) via Box or by email:
- Box: Submit in the departmental Teaching & Learning Admin folder, TA_Graduate subfolder ("48-##00 TA_Graduate"). Please note, Box access is typically limited to chairs/directors and department admins.
- Email: Send to Amanda Mahr
- Instructions for completing the Graduate Support Guarantees Planning worksheet
- Requirements of a Support Guarantee
- Length of Guarantee
- Offers of appointments with no support
- Non-native English speakers
- Offer Letters
- Contacts for L&S Administration
Detailed Instructions for Graduate Support Guarantees Planning Document
- Departments requesting to make long-term support guarantees to incoming (or continuing) graduate students should fill out the Support Guarantee Worksheet (linked above).
- Fill out the form following the instructions below
- Include departmental support guarantee letters, if they differ from the L&S template provided above.
The following section asks for your departmental norms.
- Guaranteed appointment percentage level(s).
- This is the minimum level that the department/program is guaranteeing support to a graduate student.
- This guaranteed percentage level may well differ from the normal ‘’actual’‘ TA appointment level used in your department. For example, you might guarantee at least a .334 appointment to incoming graduate students, but regularly assign TAs to .40 appointments.
- You may routinely appoint at a level higher than that of the guarantee, but you cannot offer graduate students less than the appointment level guaranteed, unless the student requests such an assignment.
- Normal Length (number of years) of Guarantee. The number of years for normal support guarantees
- Estimated offer acceptance % rate by incoming students. The percentage of offers that you expect to be accepted by prospective students. This should be based on historical patterns of accepted offers, which should be included on the ‘Guarantee Notes’ page.
List the expected number of ongoing and new support guarantees for the 2020-21 academic year.
- Number of ONGOING guarantees of support. Number of graduate students with ongoing guarantees of support who will not have exhausted their guarantees at the end of the current academic year (2019-20).
- Number of new support offers to incoming students. Number of new support offers requested for incoming students for 2020-21
- Number of new support offers to continuing students. Number of new support offers requested for continuing students for 2020-21
This table on the form calculates the total estimated costs for your guarantees. It compares the total possible cost if all offers are accepted versus an adjusted estimated based on the historical acceptance rate listed in the ‘Guarantee Details’ table.
- Title. Adjust/add rows if necessary
- Base rate. Adjust/add rows if necessary. This should be a 9-month / C-Basis rate.
- Headcount for fall & spring.
- Total appointment percentage. Sum of the appointment percentages for the given semester. E.g., if you have two TAs at 50% plus another at 33.4%, please list 133.4%. The fall, spring, and total academic year costs are automatically calculated.
Requirements of Support Guarantee Offer LettersSupport guarantee offer letters must clearly state that in order for the guarantee to remain valid, the student must:
- continue as a graduate student in your program and
- maintain satisfactory academic performance, and
- perform satisfactorily in any assigned responsibilities.
Length of GuaranteeUnless otherwise approved by the L&S Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning Administration, the length of these guarantees for an incoming Ph.D. program graduate student is:
- four or five continuous academic years for one with no prior graduate work; or
- three continuous academic years for one with at least one year of prior graduate work.