L&S TA Training & Orientation
This page contains details about L&S TA Training events. Generally, the Training takes place on the Thursday before classes start each semester (Fall and Spring). The Trainings are mainly designed for new TAs, but all TAs are welcome.
Fall 2022 TrainingSave the date! Thursday, Sept 1, 2022, approximately 9am - 5pm. There will also be asynchronous training material to work through prior to the training date. More details and registration information will be posted in Summer 2022.
Spring 2022 Training
- Asynchronous training:
- TA Basics: Policies & Resources
- Canvas Basics
- Pedagogy: Principles & Practice
- Live training via Zoom:
- Welcome and Introduction to Your TA Role
- UHS Presentation and Q&A on TA Wellness
- Experienced TA Q&A Panel
- Pedagogy Workshop
We want every Teaching Assistant to feel supported and energized. Each training focuses on the outcomes listed below.
- Connect personally with peers and an experienced teaching fellow.
- Select strategies for self-care and supporting wellness during the semester.
- Link your TA role to undergraduate student success and the L&S mission.
- Discuss qualities of good teaching and connect these to your own skills and goals.
- Draft an active learning lesson plan for your course.
- Compare strategies for managing difficult classroom situations.
- Explain the basic features of Canvas relevant to your responsibilities as a TA.
- Identify supportive resources for answering key questions and helping your students during the semester.
- Remember essential policies relevant to your TA role.