Topics Map > Research > Research Policy & COI

COI in L&S: How to File an Outside Activities Report (OAR)

This document outlines for L&S investigators at UW-Madison the basic steps for filing an outside activities report (OAR).

All UW-Madison faculty regardless of appointment, academic staff with a 50% or greater appointment, and any named personnel on a federally-funded project or human subjects protocol must file an annual outside activities report (OAR) by April 30th for the previous calendar year.

Individuals must submit a report even if they have no outside activities to report.

Individuals must also update their OAR within 30 days of the start or change in an outside activity.

To file your report:

  • Go to the Grad School COI/OAR webpage 
  • Click on "Submit or Update an Outside Activities Report"
  • Click on "Start"
  • Enter your personal information and select your appropriate campus appointment
  • Indicate whether you have any affiliation with the UW Medical Foundation
  • Answer three basic questions about whether or not you are engaged in federally funded or human subjects research at the UW, and whether you have outside financial interests
  • If you have a relationship with outside entities, and these entities relate to your institutional responsibilities, then you must disclose these activities by creating an "entity" and answering the questions on this page
  • Basic guidelines on what is reportable and not reportable
  • Certify that you have, to the best of your abilities, answered the questions and provided correct and accurate information about your outside activities
  • Submit the report

Questions?  Contact:
Breeana Hubbard, Ph.D.
Conflict of Interest
College of Letters & Science 

Keywordsconflict interest, filing a activities report, submit outside activities report   Doc ID42653
OwnerBreeana H.GroupL&S KB
Created2014-08-08 09:48:15Updated2022-03-07 12:08:34
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   0