Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Courses/Enrolling
Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Degrees

L&S Foreign Language Substitution

The following information is mean for the College of Letters & Science undergraduate students who are seeking to fulfill the L&S BA or BS language requirement but believe they have documentation to support getting a substitution for this College requirement.

All students working toward earning a BA or BS degree in the College of Letters & Science must fulfill the foreign language students.   Students with certain disabilities may apply for a substitution to the foreign language requirement by submitting required documentation to the College of Letters & Science Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) for review.

The Foreign Language Substitution package (FLSP) is for degree-seeking candidates in the College of Letters & Science (L&S) only who are seeking to fulfill the L&S foreign language requirement and also have a documented disability in foreign language acquisition. More specific information about the Foreign Language Substitution Package for L&S undergraduate students can be found in the Guide under Foreign Language.

The deadline to submit a completed FLSP application is the Friday of the fourth (4th) week of the fall or spring term by 4:00 pm.   All students who submit a completed application by the deadline should hear back from the Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) regarding the status of their application by the end of the 9th week of the term in which they have applied.  Applications are not accepted during the summer term.

**Please make sure you submit your original completed application and also four (4) additional copies of your completed application to Suite 110 Ingraham Hall at 1155 Observatory Drive by 4:00 p.m. on Friday of the deadline. A completed application must include five (5) copies of each of the five items below:
  1. High school transcript and transcripts from other post-secondary institutions you may have attended prior to UW-Madison (you will need to contact original high school or other institution of higher learning for these records if you do not have copies)
  2. UW-Madison transcript
  3. Copy of your most recent DARS (Please go to your My UW and access the Student Center to request a DARS.)
  4. Student application form (see p. 7 of Foreign Language Substitution Package application below)
  5. Copy of McBurney Faculty Notification Letter (or confirmation letter of accommodations received) if student has one
  6. Other relevant and current disability documentation assembled in consultation with McBurney Center staff
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed so make sure you submit all of the required documentation for consideration.

The Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee (DCAC) of the College of Letters & Science can approve a substitution to the foreign language requirement for students pursuing an undergraduate degree in Letters & Science only with certain disabilities that make a course substitution appropriate. Extensive and very specific documentation is required from students and disability specialists. The staff at McBurney Disability Resource Center will help you determine what documentation is necessary for the application, as well as assess whether additional testing is required.

Students are encouraged to file the application early (for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, no later than the fourth week of their third semester in residence; for senior transfers, no later than the fourth week of their first semester in residence, excluding summer sessions). The Committee meets once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Students will be notified in writing within seven to ten business days after the DCAC meets regarding the status of their application. *The committee does not meet to review applications in the summer*.

Please note that students who apply in their senior year may delay graduation. Students should submit application materials only during the semester they wish their application to be considered.

Application for the L&S foreign language substitution can be found at foreign language substitution package.

Contact L&S Student Academic Affairs with further general questions:
Phone: (608) 262-0617

Keywords:foreign language substitution package, FLSP, foreign language, Disabilities Curricular Accommodations Committee, DCAC, L&S foreign language requirement, requirement   Doc ID:84515
Owner:Tori R.Group:L&S Administrative Gateway
Created:2018-08-06 09:51 CSTUpdated:2019-12-04 16:02 CST
Sites:L&S Administrative Gateway
Feedback:  0   0