Use your UW-Madison credentials to log on to Top Hat. Guidance from your instructor will be provided about how Top Hat will be used within your course. Please keep in mind that instructors can chose to use Top Hat differently; some may choose to send you an email invitation to their course and others may simply provide you with an access code in class.
Logging on to Top Hat
- From a web browser, go to www.tophat.com.
- Click the Sign-up link in the upper right side of the screen.
- Enter the six-digit Top Hat join code provided by your instructor. If you were not provided a join code, click the Search by school link and select University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- You will be redirected to the UW-Madison identity management system where you will enter your UW-Madison NetID login credentials.
- After entering your information you will be redirected back to the Top Hat login page where you will have two options to select from to continue.
If you have not already created a Top Hat account:
- Click Continue creating a new student account.
- This option is for users who do NOT yet have a Top Hat account and are registering with Top Hat for the first time.
- Enter your first and last name. Your email and username are automatically populated and you will not be able to edit those fields. Make sure you do NOT edit your email later, it must be your university email to match grades in Canvas.
- The password you enter here is ONLY for logging on to the Top Hat mobile app. Using the mobile app is optional, but a password must be created in order to complete this registration process.
- Be sure to select "I agree with the terms and conditions."
If you have previously created a Top Hat account:
- Click Update with an existing account.
- This option is for users who ALREADY have a Top Hat account and need to associate their account to their UW-Madison NetID account.
Enrolling in the Course & Purchasing a SubscriptionIf you don't already have a Top Hat subscription, you will need to purchase one when you access your course.
- In Top Hat, next to the course name, click the Enroll button. If you do not yet have a subscription to Top Hat, this will take you to a subscription screen.
- Select your preferred subscription term and payment option and follow the instructions on screen to complete your payment. You will then have access to your Top Hat courses.
If you have questions or are having technical difficulty with Top Hat, please contact them at their Support Center or by phone at (888) 663-5491.
Complying with UW-Madison Policies
UW-Madison's Responsible Use of Information Technology Policy applies to Top Hat.
Students using Top Hat for UW-Madison courses must abide by the Dean of Students Office's Guidelines for Academic Integrity.