Microsoft 365 - Getting Started with Service Accounts
This document will provide a description of service accounts and how they can be used.
What is a service account?
Service Accounts are very similar to user accounts and are intended to be used for shared/changing roles (info, secretary, webmaster, newsletter, feedback, etc) or service/programmatic access (printers, copiers, mailers). It is not recommended to create a service account to be used as a personal account - every faculty/staff/student already has an account assigned to them which takes the form of NetID@wisc.edu.
Important - service accounts:
- Can only be created within an Office 365 domain. It will be in the form of email@example.com.
- When created, are hidden from the Global Address List (GAL). This means that they will not be searchable from any client using the GAL.
- Can be accessed via permissions or by using the service account's direct username/password.
- Can have multiple addresses associated with it.
- Only users (NetID@wisc.edu) who are licensed for UW-Madison Office 365 accounts can interact with a service account. Microsoft licensing prohibits the use of these accounts by any external user - this means that external users cannot use the service account credentials to access the account. If you need to provide access to an external user, please request an appointment through your department's HR office.
- Can be used for UW-Madison Zoom. Learn more.
Request a service account
Follow steps outlined in requesting a service account article.
How to access a service account
Important: If a service account was just created or updated by your administrator, it may take up to 60 minutes before you can access or interact with the account.
Use the following document to learn how to access a service account: Microsoft 365 - How to access a Service Account.
Configure permissions per workflow needs
We wanted to remind you that we can help determine the best solution for interacting with a service account based on your departmental needs and workflows. If you are unhappy with the way your service account is currently working or just need direction on what would be the best way to interact with your service account, please contact the DoIT Help Desk for support. Any questions or concerns that can't be addressed by the Help Desk will be escalated to the UW-Madison Office 365 team.
Use the 'Granting Permissions' section of the following document to configure the necessary settings: Microsoft 365 - Getting Started with User and Service Account Permissions.