Moodle - i>clicker Basics
This article introduces the basics of the i>clicker software and how it can be implemented into your Moodle course.
- i>clicker base (large black box with antenna)
- USB cord to connect i-clicker base to computer
- i>clicker remote (typically blue remote for instructors)
- i>clicker software: i>clicker integration
- Download the UW-Madison i>clicker software and follow Steps 1-3 in i>clicker integration to set up your Moodle course for i>clicker
- Connect i>clicker base to your computer using the USB cord after your course has been set up
- Open the iclicker.exe application
- Select the desired class
- To begin polling students, select "Start session"
Note: To start session, i>clicker base must be plugged into the computer
- A new window with a green play button will appear
- Click the green button to begin polling students. The window will display a red circle, a timer, and the number of responses that have been received. Click the red circle to stop polling the students. Next to the red circle is an icon with three bars. Click this button to see the student responses in real-time.
- The original window with the green play button will reappear and you will have the ability to see the student responses by selecting the icon with three bars.
- Each time the polling is started and stopped will be counted as a separate "Question" for the session. Points can be assigned for responses after a session or before by creating questions in the program.
Assigning Points to Responses
Point values can be added to responses and then synced with the gradebook in Moodle. Syncing with the gradebook can be accomplished by following steps 4-5 in i>clicker integration
Adding point values before a session:
- To add point values to questions before a session, launch the i>clicker application and select your class.
- On the toolbar select the tab labeled "Question".
- Select "New Question List"
- You can use the Question List Editor to create questions and set point assignments for answers. Students will automatically be given points depending on their answers when i>clicker is synced with Moodle gradebook. You can then save your question list and when you start a new session, you will be asked if you want to load a question list.
Adding point values after session:
- To add point values to questions after a session, open the igrader application.
- Select which session you would like to edit; they will be labeled with the day the session occurred.
- Click anywhere in the column to open the "Session Summary" page.
- This page will allow you to edit the point totals, question titles, and correct answers for each question asked in a session. It also contains a screenshot from your computer from when the question was asked and the number of responses for each answer option. Instructors are able to toggle through questions asked in a session by using arrows at the bottom of the window.
- Edit anything you would like about the questions and select "Set and Close" at the bottom.
Use of Instructor Remote
- Press A to stop polling
- Press B to display/hide graph of responses
- Press C to advance slide (if using PowerPoint presentation)
- Press D to go to previous slide (if using PowerPoint presentation)
- Press E to display the correct answer (you will need to specify a correct answer in the software, N/A for surveys)