Well-known UW-Madison Campus IP address ranges and hosts
This document is to provide a handy reference for IP address ranges commonly used on the UW-Madison Campus. DoIT Network Services recognizes the need for campus network administrators to allow or block certain IP address ranges to the infrastructure that they manage. An attempt is made to keep this document the authoritative source but its contents are not guaranteed to be error free.
IPv4 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
- 184.108.40.206/17 - Resnet
Private companies / Federal Government Agencies using UW IP space
- 220.127.116.11/24 - Research Park: gcg.com
- 18.104.22.168/23 - Forest Products Lab
- 22.214.171.124/29 - General Contractor at VetMed Expansion
- 126.96.36.199/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 188.8.131.52/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 184.108.40.206/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 220.127.116.11/26 - Construction General Contractor transit block allocations
- 18.104.22.168/29 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 22.214.171.124/25 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 126.96.36.199/27 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 188.8.131.52/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
RFC 1918 IPv4 ranges centrally managed by DoIT
RFC 1918 IPv4 ranges not routed and not centrally managed by DoIT
- 172.16. 0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16. 0.0 – 172.31. 255.255.
- 192.168. 0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168. 0.0 – 192.168. 255.255
IPv6 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
IP ranges previously routed on UW-Madison [previously checked 2014/11/20]
- 184.108.40.206/25 - USGS
- 220.127.116.11/24 - USGS
- 18.104.22.168/24 - University of Wisconsin-Madison Computer Systems Lab
- 22.214.171.124/24 - Dane County University Extension
- 2001:4e0:82::/48 [deprecated, 3/2008]
IP ranges assigned to UW System affiliates
- 126.96.36.199/23 - University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Departmental GlobalProtect based WiscVPN Service
- The external Public IP used for GlobalProtect Departmental VPN will be allocated from 188.8.131.52/26 (with some grandfathered exceptions)
- The End User IP assignments for Departmental VPN GlobalProtect users will be assigned from 10.130.240.0/20 (with the following exceptions)
- fundus 10.130.198.97-10.130.198.126
Campus GlobalProtect based VPN Service (WiscVPN)
- Client IP Pool Ranges 10.254.0.2 - 10.254.63.254 and 10.130.176.2 - 10.130.191.254
- WiscVPN PAT Pool Expansion Subnet 184.108.40.206 - 220.127.116.11
- All workstations, servers, firewalls, networking equipment on campus will see the 10.130.176.0/20 or 10.254.0.0/16 as a source IP address.
- When workstations are connected to the GlobalProtect vpn service and accessing non-campus Internet sites, the client computers IP source address will be translated to 18.104.22.168/27
- 22.214.171.124/19 (126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52) for static addressed VPN client
- 10.130.176.0/20 (10.130.176.0 - 10.130.191.255) for dynamic assigned IP addressed VPN client
- 10.254.0.0/16 (10.254.0.0 to 10.254.255.255) for emergency expansion of Remote VPN use (like a flu outbreak)
The list of addresses used for network management and security scanning can be found @ Scan - Office of Cybersecurity Vulnerability Scanning IPs and Services
UWNet & Eduroam Wireless and Wired Authenticated Networks
The UWNet & Eduroam wireless clients utilize private IP addresses from the campus routable range mentioned in the RFC1918 section of this document. These clients are routable to campus and use NAT/PAT behind pools of public IP addresses listed below for Internet access.
- 10.138.0.0/15 - Eduroam clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 184.108.40.206/23 for Internet access
- 10.140.0.0/15 - UWNET clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 220.127.116.11/23 for Internet access
Wired UWNet is being deprecated and should no longer be considered a campus-wide service.
Campus DNS Servers
The Campus DNS infrastructure is implemented by a pool of redundant dns servers that answer dns requests to these addresses. These DNS servers are for use on the UW-Madison campus only. If you are off-campus, please use your provider's DNS servers.
To request changes or updates to the campus DNS service, please contact the DoIT HelpDesk.
DoIT has three GPS-synched stratum-1 servers.
The service addresses are as follows:
ntp1.doit.wisc.edu (provided by ntp-cssc-8350-1) 18.104.22.168 (proxied to 22.214.171.124) 2607:f388::123:1
ntp2.doit.wisc.edu (provided by ntp-animal-226-1-mgmt) 126.96.36.199 2607:f388::123:2
ntp3.doit.wisc.edu (provided by ntp-432nm-b3a-1) 188.8.131.52 (proxied to 184.108.40.206) 2607:f388::123:3
Deprecated service address:
220.127.116.11 (deprecated provided by ntp-animal-226-1-mgmt on eth2)
The NTP appliances also have the following addresses. Service should be stable on their IPv4 address as well as the IPv6 service address (in 2607:f388::/64 service block eg. 2607:f388::123:1). In the future we may migrate the service addresses for ntp1.doit.wisc.edu (18.104.22.168) to the real address of the appliance (22.214.171.124) and ntp3.doit.wisc.edu (126.96.36.199) to (188.8.131.52), deprecating the existing service IPv4 addresses, although keeping them active for the foreseeable future as many devices will have those addresses hard-coded in their base OS config. The service names ntp1.doit.wisc.edu, ntp2.doit.wisc.edu and ntp3.doit.wisc.edu should continue to exist even if the IPv4 addresses they point to change in the future.
ntp-cssc-8350-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has address 184.108.40.206 ntp-cssc-8350-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388:d:1::1001 ntp1.doit.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388::123:1 ntp-animal-226-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has address 220.127.116.11 (aka ntp2.doit.wisc.edu) ntp-animal-226-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388:d:2::1001 ntp2.doit.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388::123:2 ntp-432nm-b3a-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has address 18.104.22.168 ntp-432nm-b3a-1-mgmt.net.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388:d::1002 ntp3.doit.wisc.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f388::123:3