NetID - Changing Your NetID

This document explains the policy for having a NetID changed.

NetIDs may be changed in a variety of circumstances. Please note that if you are a faculty or staff member looking to change your email address, please see Office 365 - Reserve or change your address.


You may request a NetID change if you meet any of the criteria below.

  • Your legal name has changed. To have your legal name changed, follow the instructions below.

    Students: Complete the steps in the Student Name Change Form.

    Faculty and staff: Contact your department's HR or payroll staff.

    Emeritus, retirees, and other NetID holders: Contact the human resources office of your sponsoring department or the Office of Human Resources at (608) 265-2257.

    Your NetID may only be changed after your name change is completed. You can confirm your name has been changed in the UW Directory.

  • Your NetID is considered commonly offensive.
  • Your NetID contains the #1 as it is often confused with the letter L.

To request a NetID change, you must call the DoIT Help Desk.

Your New NetID

  • Your new NetID will be computer-generated based on official University records. We cannot accomodate requests.
  • NetID changes take approximately 2-3 business days.
  • You will be called after the NetID change has been completed.
  • If there are any issues preventing your NetID change, you will be contacted.
  • If your email address changes, your old email address will permanently forward to your new address.

Keywords:netid wiscworld username change legal offensive personalized account office 365 o365 email address rename last name surname married marry divorce divorced changing renaming family given account   Doc ID:1108
Owner:Ben R.Group:Access Management Services
Created:2001-09-26 18:00 CSTUpdated:2016-09-02 08:11 CST
Sites:Access Management Services, DoIT Help Desk, DoIT Tech Store
Feedback:  1   2