NetID - Changing Your NetID
This document explains the policy for having a NetID changed.
NetIDs may be changed in a variety of circumstances. Please note that if you are a faculty or staff member looking to change your email address, please see Office 365 - Reserve or change your email@example.com address.
You may request a NetID change if you meet any of the criteria below.
- Your legal name has changed. To have your legal name changed, follow the instructions below.
Students: Complete the steps in the Student Name Change Form.
Faculty and staff: Contact your department's HR or payroll staff.
Emeritus, retirees, and other NetID holders: Contact the human resources office of your sponsoring department or the Office of Human Resources at (608) 265-2257.
Your NetID may only be changed after your name change is completed. You can confirm your name has been changed in the UW Directory.
- Your NetID is considered commonly offensive.
- Your NetID contains the #1 as it is often confused with the letter L.
To request a NetID change, you must call the DoIT Help Desk.
Your New NetID
- Your new NetID will be computer-generated based on official University records. We cannot accomodate requests.
- NetID changes take approximately 2-3 business days.
- You will be called after the NetID change has been completed.
- If there are any issues preventing your NetID change, you will be contacted.
- If your email address changes, your old email address will permanently forward to your new address.