Security - How to Report Stolen Computers and Equipment
This document explains how to report stolen computers and equipment, and what DoIT might be able to do to track it down.
If your personal or departmental computer is stolen on campus
Report the theft to UW Police. Important information to tell the police includes:
- Where and when you last used the computer, particularly on campus locations
- The computer's serial number
- The computer's MAC address (Ethernet and Wireless)
The police department will file a report about the theft, and work with the Office of Cybersecurity, as appropriate.
If a serial number for the stolen device is given to UWPD, the serial number is reported to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) (http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm). Thus, law enforcement agencies with access to NCIC can check to learn if acquired property is stolen and return.
If your personal or departmental computer is stolen off campus
Computers that are stolen off campus (apartment, restaurant, house, etc.) should be reported to the police.
- If in Madison: City of Madison police department.
- If outside of Madison, contact the local police department to report the theft.
Departmental only: If your computer had sensitive data on it, please report the theft to UW Police, in addition to the local police department.