Mapping CAE Printers
Instructions on how to map a CAE printer. This method is useful when needing to print to a CAE lab printer from a CoE non-lab computer.
CAE is experiencing a Windows driver issue with the ME 1262 plotter. You can still print to the plotter from a CAE Windows lab machine by using the method outlined below. The linux computers are not affected by this issue.
Please Note: Printing will not work outside the College of Engineering wired network. You will not be able to print to these printers from your laptop over a wireless connection unless you use the CoE VPN. The Software VPN will not work for this purpose. If you need to print from a laptop, please see Web Print.If you are trying to print from a tablet or smart phone, you may want to give CAE's Web Print a shot. Information on it can be found here: https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=30498
- Open Run. This may be done by searching "Run" from the Windows search bar.
- Enter \\engr-print.ad.engr.wisc.edu into the Open: field of the Run prompt and select OK.
- When logging in use your CAE username prefaced by ENGR\ (ex: ENGR\username ). Enter your CAE password and select OK. Note: You will need to check the box next to "Remember my credentials" for this to work after reboot (otherwise you will have to through steps 1-3 every time you want to print). If this is on a shared computer or one that you do not have strong passwords on, it is not recommended
- When presented with the list of CAE printers, right-click on the printer you desire and select Connect. It may take a few moments or a few minutes to install print drivers.
- Select System Preferences from the dock.
- Select Printers & Scanners.
- If necessary, Click the lock to make changes located in the lower left corner.
- Select the + icon located below the Printers list.
- In the Add Printer window, select the Advanced tab. If you do not have an Advanced tab, then right click on the gray area next to the other tabs and select Customize Tooblbar. Then from the sub-menu, drag the Advanced tab to the Add Printer window toolbar to join the other tabs or right click on the Advanced icon to add it.
- Set the Type: to Windows printer via spoolss.
- Set the URL: to smb://engr-print.ad.engr.wisc.edu/[printer name]. Following are the printer names and location of those printers:
cae-116-duplex1 Laser Printer 1 in CAE 116 cae-116-duplex2 Laser Printer 2 in CAE 116 cae-116-color Color Laser Printer in CAE 116 ecb-1036-duplex Laser Printer in M1053 Engineering Centers Building engr-1249-duplex Laser Printer in 1249 Engineering Hall engr-1249-plotter Plotter in 1249 Engineering Hall engr-2261-duplex Laser Printer in 2261 Engineering Hall engr-2324-duplex Laser Printer in 2234 Engineering Hall engr-b103c-laser Laser Printer in B103c Engineering Hall engr-b555-laser Laser Printer in B555 Engineering Hall engr-3654-duplex Laser Printer in 3654 Engineering Hall kfw-105-duplex Laser Printer in 105 Wendt Library me-1262-duplex1 Laser Printer 1 in 1262 Mechanical Engineering Building me-1262-duplex2 Laser Printer 2 in 1262 Mechanical Engineering Building me-1262-plotter Plotter Printer in Mechanical Engineering Building me-2109-duplex Laser Printer in 2109 Mechanical Engineering Building
- Enter an appropriate Name:
- In the Use: field, choose Generic PostScript Printer.
- Select Add. Use the following screenshot as an example and to verify the steps:
- The first time you print to this printer, you will be asked to specify your Name: and Password:. Use your CAE username prefaced by ENGR\ (ex: ENGR\username ). Enter your CAE password and select OK.