Office 365 - Which clients/protocols will be supported?
Supported clients and connection protocols in use with Office 365.
For the best experience with Office 365, Microsoft recommends connecting via Exchange protocol via Outlook 2010/2013/2011/2016, Outlook App for iOS/Android, or connecting to Outlook on the web via recommended/supported web browser.
Other clients and previous versions of Outlook can be configured to your Office 365 account but will have uniquely limited functionality and features. The Office 365 Technical Team has tested many of the mail and calendar clients commonly used on campus. For a more detailed view of how these clients compare, review our Technical Client Comparison Grid
Office 365 can support the following protocols: Exchange (MAPI), ActiveSync, browser (Office Web App), EWS (Exchange Web Services) IMAP, and POP3. Office 365 does not support calendar standard (CalDAV) and address book standard (CardDAV) protocols.
IMAP/POP3 connections will be supported and are on by default, however, Office 365 is an Exchange service meaning that clients which connect using POP3 or IMAP protocols will have limited functionality/features. Please, again, refer to the Technical Client Comparison Grid to see how IMAP/POP3 protocols perform on an exchange service.
- Office 365 - Outlook and Outlook on the web System Requirements
- Office 365 - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) by Category
- Office 365 - What browsers can I use to access the web interface?
- Office 365 - Choosing a Client
- Office 365 - Technical Client Comparison
- Office 365 - Client performance during and after account migration