Office 365 - How will firstname.lastname@example.org email addresses be assigned?
All faculty/staff will be required to reserve a email@example.com email address. Students are not required to reserve this. In addition, new account activations will not be assigned a firstname.lastname@example.org email address. The owners of these accounts will be able to reserve this address after the account has been created within Office 365.
Note: Regardless of this additional address, you are not required to set it as your primary address unless you are directed to by your dean/director/administrator.
Each user or their delegated IT administrator will visit the Wisc Account Administration site to view their automatically generated email@example.com email address.
The new email address will be confirmed by the user and becomes permanently assigned to their account.
If the firstname.lastname@example.org email address is already taken by another user, then the generated address will have a number appended to it.
University Policy regarding the assignment and modification of first.last name email addresses:
- It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin - Madison that any faculty, staff, or student may choose to identify themselves within the university community with a preferred first and/or middle name that differs from their legal name.
- As long as the use of the preferred first and/or middle name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, it will appear instead of the person's legal name in university related systems and documents except where the use of the legal name is required by university business or legal need.
- If the generated address is unacceptable due to duplicate name, conflicts, or nicknames, the user may suggest an alternative. A support ticket will be created via the Help Desk to accommodate the request for an alternative address. As long as the proposed address is not for the purposes of misrepresentation or potentially offensive it will be approved.
Requirements for modified first.last name email addresses:
- The only characters allowed in the first.last name reservation tool are letters, numbers, the period and the hyphen. No other characters, including apostrophes will be accepted.
- The firstname.lastname address should be formatted as such - initials will not be accepted as a first or last name, though a middle initial can be included in the address.
- The first.last name address cannot only be the first name or last name, it must include both.
- The address can include a middle name as either email@example.com, or as firstname.lastname@example.org.