UW-Madison Box - Collaboration
- Sharing Files and Folders
- Shared Links
- Collaboration Folders
- Advanced Collaboration Features
- Collaboration Permissions
- Project Directories
Sharing Files and Folders
Box offers several different options for sharing files and folders with other people.
To share with other Box users, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/20353457
In addition to the article above, please also note the following:
- You can use the instructions above to share with any Box user, including those outside of UW-Madison; however, non-UW Box accounts will not automatically populate in the email address field.
- It is recommended that you enter a user's standard WiscMail address (i.e. email@example.com) when adding them as a collaborator. WiscMail Plus addresses will only work if the account owner has specifically registered this address as an alias within Box.
- For instructions on registering your own WiscMail Plus account as an alternate address for Box, please see: UW-Madison Box - Registering an Email Alias
To share with users who do not have a Box account, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/23612371
Shared links provide an easy way to grant access to your files and folders. By leveraging a variety of additional permissions options, you can use shared links to facilitate many levels of access and collaboration.
For information on generating shared links and customizing permissions, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/20894888
If you know that you will be collaborating on multiple files with the same group of people, you have the option of creating a collaboration folder to easily organize your files while also managing collaborator permissions.
For instructions on creating folders and enabling collaboration, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/Managing-Your-Content/How-Do-I-Create-New-Files-and-Folders/ta-p/318
Advanced Collaboration Features
There are a number of settings that allow you to customize permissions and view options for collaboration. For more information on the various options available to you, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/20358627
In Box, permissions are generally set using access levels, which essentially equate to "roles". Each one of these roles entails a specific set of actions that a user with that access level can perform.
For a breakdown of the actions that can be performed by users who are granted these various access levels, please see: UW-Madison Box - Collaborator Permissions
In addition to user-based enterprise Box accounts, UW-Madison Box also offers the option to request a project directory for long-term group collaboration. For more information on how project directories work and how you can request one, please see: UW-Madison Box - Project Directories