Office 365 - Requesting a departmental address/account/domain
There are times when you need to use an address/account that is not tied to a personal (NetID) account.
Here is listing of address/account types:
- Service Accounts
Learn more about these address/account types.
Options for obtaining these accounts:
Request account from your departmental IT administrator. If your department has a departmental Office 365 domain such as "@doit.wisc.edu", contact your domain administrator to request a new account or address. If you are unsure whether your department has an Office 365 domain, or who your domain administrator is, contact the DoIT Help Desk to find out.
Request an @mailplus.wisc.edu account. If your department does not have an Office 365 domain, you may request accounts in the generic "@mailplus.wisc.edu" domain. Follow these instructions to request a mailplus.wisc.edu Service Account, Alternate Address or Resource.
Request a custom/vanity @wisc.edu alternate address. In some cases, it is possible to obtain a departmental address of the form "@wisc.edu" as an Alternate Address tied to a Service Account. See this document for requirements on these custom @wisc.edu addresses or to submit a request.
Request a new domain to create accounts in. In some situations, none of the above options are satisfactory. If you decide to submit a new domain request it will require approval from DoIT leadership.
Requesting a new domain:
Some reasons you may not want to request a new domain:
- Unlike accounts within the mailplus.wisc.edu domain, you will be responsible for administering all of the accounts within your domain.
- Microsoft has a limit on the number of sub-domains created within the wisc.edu environment.
- The more sub-domains that exist within wisc.edu, the more resources/infrastructure is required to manage it
- To request a new domain:
- Go to Wisc Account Administration Site.
- You will be presented with the request domain form:
Enter the required data (including any special request within the comments field).
- Click Request Domain button.
A mail/calendar administrator will contact you within a couple of business days.