KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - Trash and the Deleted Documents Screen
Once a KB document has been deleted, only someone with "Publish" rights can purge that KB document. This document explains how to purge a document found in the Trash/ Deleted Documents and will tell you what becomes of the content of the purged document.
Once a document has been deleted, as explained here KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - Deleting Documents, you can purge the document from the KB System, entirely.
Access to Contents of Trash
Those with Publish rights may open the Trash queue and Edit or Purge documents in that queue as needed.
Those without Publish rights
- May open the Trash queue
- May click on the Edit button
- May NOT purge documents in the Trash queue (e.g. that button is greyed out)
- May NOT publish a document in the Trash and need to click on the Request Activation to continue along the workflow (e.g. may NOT publish a document from the Trash.)
Purging a Deleted Document
- Open the KB Admin Tools and click on the Documents tab.
- Click on the Trash link on the left navigation bar.
- You will see a screen called Deleted Documents, there is a column entitled Purge.
- Locate your intended document. Admins with Publish rights may click the Purge button on the same row. By clicking on Purge button, you will delete all values in the following fields:
- Internal notes
- Group notes
- Up, Previous, Next
- Topic assignment
- Audience assignment
- Misc Options fields are reset to disabled
- Document Revisions
The Show comments and events field will still be populated so can have a record that the document was, indeed, purged.
Recycle a Doc
One way to use a document that has already been purged is to recycle it. Users with our without Publish rights can do this by clicking on the Documents tab > Recycle a Doc link.
Clicking on this link will lead you to a (randomly selected) Purged document from the list of Deleted documents found in the Trash queue.
You will be presented with a screen called Recycling Document XXXXXX. From here, you may edit this document as your KB Group's workflow allows. Since recycling a document is essentially creating a New Document, you will see that you have the ability to use your templates when Recycling a document.
In the image above, we Recycled a document from the KB Team Group Site with a document ID of 19054. The red arrow is pointing to the Template dropdown list that can access all templates the KB Team Group Site has available.
Emptying the Trash
We have seen how Admins can move documents to the trash.
- Admins who want to empty the trash can do so. After clicking on the Trash link, you will see an Empty Trash button at the bottom right of the screen.
- Upon clicking the Empty Trash button, a message will pop up warning of the decision to purge documents with the Status of Deleted.
- Please consider your request very carefully as each institution has a document retention policy that it must adhere to. Purging the content of documents in the Trash may be in violation of your document retention policy.