Canvas - UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Roles (UW-Madison)
This document outlines the organizational structure and roles/permissions for Canvas at UW-Madison.
Canvas has course-level and account-level roles. Course roles pertain only to the current course, while account-level roles include permissions that affect the sub account (Department/College) and courses contained within them.
The following resources provide background knowledge on course- and account-level roles.
- What are the differences between course-level and account-level roles? https://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/73660-what-are-the-differences-between-course-level-roles-and-account-level-roles
- Canvas Admin Permissions (Video 3:30) https://vimeo.com/72763113
- Course Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf
- Account Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Structure
The below diagram illustrates the organizational structure of Canvas and the levels various roles are assigned to.
Account roles are defined at the primary and sub-account level and cascade. Users of these roles are typically administrative. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
- Account Admin: Top-level account used to manage system-wide access. Should have limited enrollments.
- API/Service: Account role used to integrate with SIS.
- Dashboard Service: Service role used by course dashboard
- DoIT AT Support Staff: Role used by AT Staff to support faculty, students, and staff.
- DoIT Help Desk 1: Role used by level one helpdesk staff.
- DoIT Help Desk 2: Role used by level two helpdesk staff.
- Sub-Account Admin: Instructional professional supporting a school/college or Department
- Sub-Account Designer: This role grants instructional design staff access to all courses within a sub-account, but does not allow them to change account level permissions.
- UpdateCourseSIS: Temporary role used by DoIT AT to update SIS Data for manually created courses.
Course-level roles are applied at the course level and typically apply the users of the system. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf
- Student: Student enrolled in a course. Has permission to view and participate in course activities including submit assignments, post to discussions, and view the course roster.
- Auditor: Roles tied to ISIS auditor enrollment in a course. Allows students to participate in course. Grades will not be passed to ISIS, once enabled.
- TA: equivalent to a Teacher, however, cannot add additional Teachers and Designers.
- Grader: Graders can grade students, participate in the class, and moderate student content, but may not alter activities.
- Teacher: Have full course-level permissions including the ability add/delete/modify course content and enroll additional active Canvas users.
- Staff: Role used by staff helping to facilitate the course, but are not the principal instructor. Staff can not enroll additional users.
- Co-Teacher: Similar to a TA, but adds the ability to publish the course.
- Course Coordinator: Administrative Staff who helps coordinate course content.
- Designer: Can create course content, however, cannot access grades or student submissions. Does not show in the class list.
- Librarian: Role provides the ability for Librarians to add content to courses.
- Observer: Ability to read content, however, has no access to grades or student submissions.