Canvas - UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Roles
This document outlines the organizational structure and roles/permissions for Canvas at UW-Madison.
Canvas has course-level and account-level roles. Course roles pertain only to the current course, while account-level roles include permissions that affect the sub account (Department/College) and courses contained within them.
The following Canvas resources provide background knowledge on course- and account-level roles.
- What are the differences between course-level and account-level roles? https://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/73660-what-are-the-differences-between-course-level-roles-and-account-level-roles
- Canvas Admin Permissions (Video 3:30) https://vimeo.com/72763113
- Course Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf
- Account Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Structure
The below diagram illustrates the organizational structure of Canvas and the levels various roles are assigned to.
Account roles are defined at the primary and sub-account level and cascade. Users of these roles are typically administrative. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
- Account Admin: Top-level account used to manage system-wide access. Should have limited enrollments.
- API/Service: Account role used to integrate with SIS.
- Dashboard Service: Service role used by course dashboard
- DoIT AT Support Staff: Role used by AT Staff to support faculty, students, and staff.
- DoIT Help Desk 1: Role used by level one helpdesk staff.
- DoIT Help Desk 2: Role used by level two helpdesk staff.
- Sub-Account Admin: Instructional professional supporting a school/college or Department
- Sub-Account Designer: This role grants instructional design staff access to all courses within a sub-account, but does not allow them to change account level permissions.
- UpdateCourseSIS: Temporary role used by DoIT AT to update SIS Data for manually created courses.
Course-level roles are applied at the course level and typically apply the users of the system. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf.
- Student: Student enrolled in a course. Has permission to view and participate in course activities including submit assignments, post to discussions, and view the course roster. This enrollment is inherited in Canvas from the individual's course role assignment in SIS.
- Auditor: Roles tied to ISIS auditor enrollment in a course. Allows students to participate in course. Grades will not be passed to ISIS, once enabled.
- TA: Equivalent to a Teacher, however, cannot add additional Teachers and Designers.
- Grader: Graders can grade students, participate in the class, and moderate student content, but may not alter activities.
- Principal Instructor: Qualified staff member who is active in course delivery and recognized by the students as one of the (and most typically only) lead instructors of the course section. A course section could have multiple principal instructors but every course section must have at least one Principal instructor. This role is inherited in Canvas from the individual's course role assignment in SIS/Class Section Builder and appears in courses occurring Summer 2018 and beyond. Click here for an overview document from the Office of the Registrar about Instructor roles.
- Supervisory Instructor: Qualified staff member who oversees courses and grading when the Principal section (Range 1) instructor does not meet standards according to the Policy on Minimum Qualifications for Instructional Staff or when the Principal section instructor, by HR title definition, needs supervision. This role is inherited in Canvas from the individual's course role assignment in SIS/Class Section Builder and appears in courses occurring Summer 2018 and beyond. Click here for an overview document from the Office of the Registrar about Instructor roles.
- Auxiliary Instructor: Qualified staff member who provides a small portion of instruction in a section but does not have overall or substantial responsibility for the course or section. This role is inherited in Canvas from the individual's course role assignment in SIS/Class Section Builder and appears in courses occurring Summer 2018 and beyond. Click here for an overview document from the Office of the Registrar about Instructor roles.
- Guest Instructor: Qualified staff member who assists the Principal Instructor. Specifically as a manually-enrolled User who does not wish to be identified as a TA. This User has the same base permissions as the SIS TA role.
- Teacher: Have full course-level permissions including the ability add/delete/modify course content and enroll additional active Canvas users.
- Staff: Role used by staff helping to facilitate the course, but are not the principal instructor. Staff can not enroll additional users.
- Co-Teacher: Similar to a TA, but adds the ability to publish the course.
- Course Coordinator: Administrative Staff who helps coordinate course content.
- Designer: Can create course content, however, cannot access grades or student submissions. Does not show in the class list.
- Librarian: Role provides the ability for Librarians to add content to courses.
- Observer: Ability to read content, however, has no access to grades or student submissions.