Canvas - UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Roles (UW-Madison)
This document outlines the organizational structure and roles/permissions for Canvas at UW-Madison.
Canvas has course-level and account-level roles. Course roles pertain only to the current course, while account-level roles include permissions that affect the sub account (Department/College) and courses contained within them.
The following resources provide background knowledge on course- and account-level roles.
- What are the differences between course-level and account-level roles? https://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/73660-what-are-the-differences-between-course-level-roles-and-account-level-roles
- Canvas Admin Permissions (Video 3:30) https://vimeo.com/72763113
- Course Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf
- Account Permissions https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
UW-Madison Canvas Organizational Structure
The below diagram illustrates the organizational structure of Canvas and the levels various roles are assigned to.
Account roles are defined at the primary and sub account level and cascade. Users of these roles are typically administrative. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf
- Account Admin: Top-level account used to manage system wide access. Should have limited enrollments.
- API/Service: Account role used to integrate with SIS.
- Dashboard Service: Service role used by course dashboard
- DoIT AT Support Staff: Role used by AT Staff to support faculty, students, and staff.
- Sub-Account Admin: Instructional professional supporting a school / college or Department
- Sub-Account Designer: This role grants instructional design staff access to all courses within a sub-account, but does not allow them to change account level permissions.
- UpdateCourseSIS: Temporary role used by DoIT AT to update SIS Data for manually created courses.
Course-level roles are applied at the course level and typically apply the users of the system. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf
- Student: Student enrolled in a course. Has permission to view and participate in course activities including submit assignments, post to discussions, and view the course roster.
- Auditor: Roles tied to ISIS auditor enrollment in a course. Allows students to participate in course. Grades will not be passed to ISIS, once enabled.
- TA: equivalent to a Teacher, however cannot add additional Teachers and Designers.
- Grader: Graders can grade students, participate in the class, and moderate student content, but may not alter activities.
- Teacher: Has full course-level permissions including the ability add/delete/modify course content and enroll additional active Canvas users.
- Co-Teacher: Similar to a TA, but adds the ability to publish the course
- Designer: Can create course content, however cannot access grades or student submissions. Does not show in the class list.
- Observer: Ability to read content, however has no access to grades or student submissions.