WiscVPN - Downloading and Installing the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client
WiscVPN is transitioning from using Cisco AnyConnect to Palo Alto GlobalProtect. For information on which client to use during the transition, see the news item WiscVPN Client Transition.
This document describes how to download and install the WiscVPN GlobalProtect VPN client on Windows and Mac operating systems. GlobalProtect supports both 32bit and 64bit Windows' Operating Systems in addition to Mac 32/64 bit Operating Systems. For information about setting up VPN for mobile devices, please refer to the following document: Palo Alto WiscVPN Native IPSEC client Support
Note: This client is compatible with OS X 10.9 or later, or with Windows 7 or later.
Note: If you are having trouble installing WiscVPN, try disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection on your machine: Symantec Endpoint Protection- Disabling and Enabling Instructions.
When you are done with the installation, re-enable Symantec. Reboot your computer before trying to connect to WiscVPN.
Downloading the GlobalProtect ClientThe GlobalProtect client can be downloaded in the following way:
- Navigate to https://uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu/.
- Log in with your NetID and Password.
- Click on one of the links to download the version that correlates with your operating system.
- If you are not sure which version of Windows you are running, refer to the following document: Windows (Vista, 7, 8, &10) - Determining 32-bit or 64-bit Versions.
- If you have a Mac, select Download Mac 32/64 bit GlobalProtect agent.
- Proceed to installing the file once it has been downloaded.
- Open the downloaded file, and choose Run when prompted.
- Press Next > to proceed through the installation.
- When asked whether or not you want to allow the program to install software on your computer, choose Yes.
- After following these instructions, GlobalProtect will be installed and ready for use.
If you are at any point required to disabled Symantec AntiVirus to install all components, follow the instructions here: Symantec Endpoint Protection- Disabling and Enabling Instructions
- Open the downloaded file. Proceed through the installation process, you will need to click continue, then continue, then install.
- Some users will be prompted with a message saying "System Extension Blocked." In this case, select Open Security Preferences then select Allow in the following window.
- If you are prompted for your password, type it in. It will look like the image below once you have typed in your password. Then select install software.
Connecting with the GlobalProtect client
After the installation has finished, proceed to WiscVPN - Connecting with the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client for instructions on how to connect.