Office 365 - Getting Started with OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive, or OneDrive for Business, is a file-hosting service that is operated by Microsoft as part of its suite of online services. It allows users to store files as well as other personal data in the cloud. Files can be synced to a PC and accessed from a web browser or a mobile device, as well as shared publicly or with specific people.
Note: UW-Madison's Office 365 administrators cannot assist users in moving any data out of OneDrive or OneDrive for Business.
OneDrive and Office 365
- Can I use my personal Microsoft account's OneDrive with UW-Madison's implementation of OneDrive for Business?
No. However, you can merge the files by using the OneDrive for Business sync client (Windows only). If you want to move the files from your personal OneDrive to UW-Madison's implementation of OneDrive for Business, you can simply copy and paste.
- How is OneDrive for Business different than OneDrive?
OneDrive is online personal storage that you get with either a Microsoft account or Outlook.com. Use OneDrive to save documents, photos, and other files in the cloud, share them with friends, and even collaborate on content. You’re free to decide how you want to use it.
OneDrive for Business is online storage intended for business purposes. Your OneDrive for Business is managed by your organization and lets you share and collaborate on work documents with co-workers. Site collection administrators in your organization control what you can do in the library. Note: OneDrive for Business is the version contained in UW-Madison's implementation of Office 365.
- How much storage space does OneDrive for Business give to each user in Office 365 within UW-Madison?
Each user gets 1 TB (terabyte) of storage space in the cloud. However, users who want additional storage can request it as needed by contacting Microsoft Support.
- Who can see the files that I store in OneDrive?
All files that you store in OneDrive for Business are private unless you decide to share them.
- Who can I share files in OneDrive with?
You can share a file within anyone by providing direct access or via a specific url. Learn more.
Desktop and web
- Use OneDrive with Office
- Configure your computer to sync files (Windows)
- Configure your computer to sync files (macOS)
- Use OneDrive with Office Online