UW-Madison Remote Desktop Service - Overview
This document provides an overview of the UW-Madison Remote Desktop Service, which provides employees supplemental access to commonly-used, campus-licensed applications that are only available on the Windows platform.
Information regarding the legacy Windows Access Facility, or WAF, can be found here: WAF - Windows Access Facility (Legacy)
Remote Desktop Service Access
University of Wisconsin-Madison employees should complete the Remote Desktop Service Access Request Form to request access to this service. For requests on behalf of groups of employees, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connecting to the Remote Desktop Service
Please refer to Remote Desktop Service - Installing and Accessing for step-by-step instructions on connecting to the Remote Desktop Service.
The following applications are available for use:
- Adobe Acrobat DC
- Adobe Flash Player
- EMS Desktop Client1
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Cypress Plugin
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Project 20161,2
- Microsoft Project 20131,2
- Microsoft Visio 20161,2
- Microsoft Visio 20131,2
- Mozilla Firefox
- Perceptive Content Desktop Client
- QWS3270 Secure
- WiscIT Powered By Cherwell1
Full Desktop Sessions and RemoteApps
- Full Desktop Session - all applications/windows opened in Remote Desktop Service appear within a single virtual desktop separate from the user's local desktop.
- RemoteApp - certain programs are available to run independently as RemoteApps (indicated in list above). These are still hosted on the Remote Desktop Service but appear as though running directly on the user's desktop with their own taskbar/dock entry like other local applications. These can also be be resized/moved across monitors.
To ensure a responsive environment for those actively utilizing the service, the following timeouts are enforced:
- Disconnected user sessions (when a user closes their session but does not explicitly logoff) are automatically ended after 3 hours.
- Idle sessions (connected sessions without user interaction) are automatically ended after 8 hours.
Maintenance Windows / Planned Outages
The scheduled maintenance windows for Remote Desktop Service are Wednesday 3AM to 5AM and Sunday 5AM to 8AM. Outages planned for any other time will be communicated via email@example.com.