ResearchDrive - Connecting From an Apple Computer
This document describes how to connect to a ResearchDrive storage account from an Apple computer.
Account Naming Convention
- ResearchDrive storage accounts are named based on the PI's NetID such as //research.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID]
- Restricted ResearchDrive accounts use the naming convention //restricted.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID]
- Replace references to [PI NetID] with the PI's NetID username.
- Replace references to [NetID] or [NetID password] with your NetID username and password.
ResearchDrive aligns with the Secure Storage Request process and compliance requirements on the Cybersecurity Risk Management and Compliance website.
- Any UW–Madison endpoint used to access restricted data must be maintained and supported by trained IT staff to ensure they are secure and not vulnerable to malware.
- External collaborators will need to complete an endpoint security checklist to document the security controls in place at their institution.
- Access to restricted data from any other unauthorized endpoint is prohibited.
- Please refer to the ResearchDrive FAQ for additional details.
There are several ways to access ResearchDrive storage from an Apple computer.
|option||requires campus network or vpn||protocol||comment|
|Mounting ResearchDrive storage using Finder||yes||smb||Recommended Option for UW-Madison Apple computers|
|Access ResearchDrive with Globus||no||gridftp or https||Recommended Option for external collaborators|
- If you are off campus or using wifi then you will need to connect to WiscVPN. before using ResearchDrive.
- Open Finder.
- Click Go then Connct to Server or use the ⌘K keyboard shortcut.
- Enter smb://research.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID]. Optionally click the + button to save to your Favorite Servers list. Click the Connect button to continue.
- Click Connect As: Registered User.
- Enter Name: [NetID] and Password: [NetID password]
- Check the box labeled Remember this password in my Key Chain if desired.
- Click Connect.
Please refer to Globus - Access ResearchDrive or SharedDrive Stoage with Globus.