FWE Override Autocorrect Excel and Outlook - Windows
This document shows you how to have Microsoft Excel and Outlook accept the acronym FWE for the Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology.
- Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, and staff; Hub staff - anyone in Russell Labs who needs to use the acronym "FWE" in Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Outlook.
Microsoft Excel and Outlook have default AutoCorrect options that view the word fwe or FWE as a misspelled word. Based on that assumption, AutoCorrect then leaps in to save the day and "fixes" it for you. Repeatedly.
Fortunately, in the desktop versions of Excel and Outlook, you can add the words to the program's dictionary so it will stop trying to change it.
Note: these steps may vary slightly according to the version of Office you are using.
- Go to: File Tab >> Options >> Proofing In Proofing you will see the AutoCorrect Options button.
- Once in AutoCorrect Options, change the replace of:
fwe to few
fwe to fwe.
- Go to: File Tab>>Options>>Mail>>Editor Options>>Proofing>>Autocorrect Options.
- Once there the Editor Options are the same as the instructions above for Excel.
- Email email@example.com.