Mapping Network Drives to Russell Labs Fileservers from a Mac
This KB Article walks a user through the steps necessary to connect to a Russell Labs server from a Mac
There are two protocols you can use to map a network drive to a Windows server on Mac: AFP and SMB.
Mapping Network Drives to Windows Servers Using SMB
There are two protocols you can use to map a network drive to a Windows server on Mac: AFP and SMB. SMB is the preferred method on newer Macs.
To access servers in the Russell Labs Domain, the user's IP address must be allowed past our firewalls. For UW-Madison users, if your computer is not plugged in via network cable to an approved network you will need to secure a VPN connection before proceeding. See WiscVPN (Mac) - Downloading and Installing the WiscVPN AnyConnect Client for details.
- Open Finder.
- Click Go > Connect to Server. (a shortcut for this is Cmd-K)
- Enter the appropriate server address in the Server Address window for the Windows Server then click Connect. (Replace userid with your Russell login id.)
For the Russell Labs shared Fileserver:
Entomology - smb://18.104.22.168/russell/ento/home/userid
Plant Pathology smb://22.214.171.124/russell/ppath/home/userid
Forest and Wildlife Ecology smb://126.96.36.199/russell/fwe/home/userid
For the Russell Labs Labserver
Entomology Labs- smb://188.8.131.52/russell/ento/Lab_Name
Plant Pathology smb://184.108.40.206/russell/ppath/Lab_Name
Forest and Wildlife Ecology smb://220.127.116.11/russell/fwe/Lab_Name
- When prompted, select "Connect as a Registered User", and select the box to "Remember this password in my keychain" if you're not on a shared computer and want to save your password. For Name and Password enter your Russell login ID and password
- Click Go > Connect to Server.
- Enter the appropriate server address for the Windows Server then click Connect.
- Example: afp://apple.doit.wisc.edu
- When prompted for Usetr Name and Password enter:
- User: Your username
- Password: Your password
- A prompt should appear displaying the available share(s). Select the one you want to connect to.