DoIT Shared Tools - JIRA - Service Description and Policies
On Monday April 10, 2023, the following service changes were announced.
Atlassian will no longer support server licensing/instances of Jira and Confluence. Due to this licensing change, the current DoIT instances of Jira and Confluence will be discontinued on January 31, 2025.
Limiting what is in these two services, will ensure our team focuses on the needs of current users.
Support for JIRA is handled via the DoIT Help Desk at email@example.com. Administrative requests and technical issues will be escalated to the JIRA Admins on the Shared Tools team as appropriate.
Due to staff constraints, support for jira.doit.wisc.edu will focus on the configuration items that require:
- admin level access
- infrastructure maintenance
- software updates
- other fixes necessary for the security and usability of the service.
There is currently no support offered for assistance with:
- dashboard creation
- report creation
- or other configuration requests
that can be handled by the delegated admins and/or project owners.
The Shared Tools team reserves the right to determine if the proposed use falls outside the intended scope of the JIRA Service and may ask the project leads to consider simplifying their requirements or consider using their tracking system.
Atlassian offers a Cloud Service as well as relatively affordable licensing for small numbers of users.
The standard environment consists of default workflows, permissions, statuses, transitions, etc. which are defined, documented, and supported by DoIT. The defaults for these items were selected to provide the widest amount of support for the majority audience. This means that the default setup may not fit your exact needs.
User accounts are automatically created when you log in to https://jira.doit.wisc.edu using your NetID credentials. If your department has used UDDS user groups for permissions on projects, you may automatically have access to JIRA projects. Otherwise, you will need to submit a request to the specific JIRA Project Admin to be granted access to projects with restricted permissions.
Responsible Use and Data Policies
The DoIT JIRA is a general service, not intended to be highly secure. Users should not place restricted data or data subject to HIPAA on this service. JIRA may not be suitable for other sensitive data.
Individuals using this service are required to:
- Follow the UW System Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of students, patients, employees, and other institutional information, as required for example by FERPA (privacy of student information) and HIPAA (privacy of patient information).
- Follow the guidelines for storing and using Restricted Data.
- Comply with all other applicable University policies, State and Federal laws, and copyright law, as described in the University of Wisconsin Student Code of Conduct.
Plug-ins provide additional functionality to the base installation/features of JIRA. Please visit the Atlassian App Marketplace to explore a variety of JIRA plug-ins. Adoption of JIRA plug-ins requires some considerable evaluation as plug-ins have the potential to impact all aspects of JIRA. The Shared Tools team will use the following items to gauge adoption of plug-ins (order is not an indicator of priority):
- User demand
- Atlassian community rating and number of downloads
- If the plug-in is currently supported, and the company/group's reputation
- How frequently the plug-in is updated
- Potential impact or side effects on aspects of the JIRA base install
The Shared Tools UW DoIT JIRA service utilizes DoIT's Bucky Backup service to protect data and recover it if needed. Server data is back up of the last 3 versions for 180 days.
Database backups are intended to be used to restore from media failures. Database backups will allow for the recovery of the entire database to a specific point in time. Database backups are retained for 30 days.
Jira is regularly patched and updated on Tuesdays at 5 p.m. CST. User experiences may be affected and access may be unavailable/ difficult during these periods.
All outages will be posted at outages.doit.wisc.edu.
We reserve the right to update our policies as needed. Please check these policies for any changes. We will send an email notification to JIRA Project Admins the Thursday after policies are updated.