- MATLAB Onramp: If you're new to Matlab or to command line interfaces, MathWorks provides exercises you can do at an interactive Matlab prompt right in your web browser. You'll need a MathWorks account, which you can make for free. From the Matlab Academy site, click "Launch MATLAB Onramp", log into your account, and complete the exercises.
- LinkedIn Learning MATLAB training: Start from DoIT's online technology training and click "Sign in to LinkedIn Learning"; once signed in, you can search for MATLAB courses or go to https://www.linkedin.com/learning/search?entityType=COURSE&keywords=matlab&u=56745513 to access two training tutorials.
- Matlab: a practical introduction to programming and problem solving, by Stormy Attaway
- SMNG Model experiment: KB doc with more info here. Both a template for future Matlab experiments in our lab, and a learning tool for lab members about existing experiments.
- CITI Training: If you haven't done human subjects research before, see the Instructions for Completing CITI Human Participants Research Training.
- HIPAA Training: The Waisman Center requires all employees & affiliates to complete HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training. This ensures that sensitive & personal information of research subjects and patients are being handled responsibly. To complete this:
- Visit the HIPAA Compliance webpage
- Scroll down to the heading "HIPAA TRAINING FOR EMPLOYEES, STAFF, AND STUDENTS WITH UW-MADISON NetIDs"
- Click the link titled 'HIPAA Privacy and Security Training'
- Complete the Canvas course, and notify the lab manager when you have completed this
- If you have trouble accessing this, ask the lab manager to contact Emily Rindahl <email@example.com> to obtain your enrollment access
- A Course in Phonetics by Ladefoged and Johnson. Chapters 1 (introduction) and 8 (acoustic phonetics) serve as a good introduction to speech for the purposes of vowel formant tracking.
- Formant tracking
- How Do We Change Our Mouths to Shape Waves? Formants video by The Ling Space
- What are formants? from Praat for beginners by Sidney Wood.
- Evaluation of automatic formant tracking by Nearey et al. Start with slide 6 and look at examples of good and bad tracking.
- Speech Resource Pages by Robert Mannell and Felicity Cox at Macquarie University. In particular:
- Neural markers of speech error detection and correction abilities in aphasia (Niziolek R00)
- The role of the cerebellum in speech (Parrell R01 subcontract)
- Establishing the clinical utility of sensorimotor adaptation for speech rehabilitation (Niziolek & Parrell MPI R01)
- Sensorimotor adaptation as a window to speech movement planning (Niziolek & Parrell MPI NSF)