Paid Faculty and Clinical Adjunct Faculty Annual Performance Review Kickoff
Background and Policies
In follow up to the Faculty (Paid & Clinical Adjunct) Performance Review Timeline that was emailed to department leadership, HRBPs and HR Ops in August, below is further information and instructions related to the official kickoff of the paid faculty and clinical adjunct faculty annual performance review process.
The completion of annual faculty reviews is a requirement of our LCME accreditation and is critical to our success. Compliance is essential for all departments.
All SMPH faculty holding a paid appointment at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor on any of our five faculty tracks (tenure, CHS, CT, RP and TP; excluding rehired annuitants) must be reviewed annually by their department chair (or designee), as stated in the SMPH-10090: Faculty Performance Review Policy. In addition, each faculty member should have the opportunity to meet with the department chair, in person or virtually, in a group or individual setting, at least once per academic year. Note: these faculty members DO NOT receive a review through the PMDP system.
Please note two recent clarifications to the policy:
- The SMPH dean (or his designee) will complete the annual review if a faculty member dedicates 50% or more of their FTE to a role in the dean's office. Additionally, the department chair may conduct a review of the faculty members' work in the department if desired. (Section II of the policy). Note: Individuals who will be reviewed by the dean or his designee are noted on your department spreadsheet.
- A requirement has been added for the annual review of Assistant and Associate Professors to discuss the timeline and readiness for promotion to the next rank. (Section IV of the policy)
Reminder on the topics to be covered in an annual review:
Performance with respect to:
- The individual’s job description and responsibilities (clinical, research, teaching and leadership as applicable).
- SMPH standards of professional behavior as stated in the SMPH Bylaws.
- For Assistant and Associate Professors – discuss timeline and readiness for promotion to the next rank.
Annual reviews will include mutually agreed upon goals for the year.
Who is not included in this exercise/who can you disregard on your list?
- Clinical Instructors, Instructor CHS, true Visiting faculty (1-2 year terminal positions), and faculty rehired annuitants
- These individuals should not appear on your list, however, if you happen to see someone who falls into one of these categories, leave a comment on the spreadsheet stating “N/A - list title”
- Faculty members who have resigned/retired and will not be working beyond the review due date (6/30/2024)
- Leave a comment on the spreadsheet stating “N/A - retired/resigned effective DATE”
- Faculty members who have been employed for less than one year as of the review due date (6/30/2024)
- An annual review is not required in these instances, although the department may conduct a review if they wish
- If a review will not be conducted, leave a comment on the spreadsheet stating "N/A - new faculty member hired DATE"
- Faculty members who received a post promotion or post tenure review in the given year
- An additional review is not needed through this annual review process
- Leave a comment on the spreadsheet stating "N/A - post promotion/post tenure review completed effective DATE"
Departmental Clinical Adjunct Faculty (if applicable)
All clinical adjunct faculty must be reviewed annually by the department chair (or designee), as stated in the SMPH-10095: Clinical Adjunct Track Faculty Performance Review Policy. In addition, each clinical adjunct faculty member should have the opportunity to meet with their reviewer and department chair, in person or virtually, in a group or individual setting, at least once per academic year.
Note: the clinical adjunct faculty who are appointed through your department but work at an academic statewide site (Marshfield, Aurora, Gundersen) will be reviewed by the Associate Dean for the academic campus and do not require a review to be completed by the SMPH department chair.
Action Required: Department leadership, HRBP & HR Ops
Department leadership, HRBP & HR Ops
- Review attestation spreadsheets, taking note of any questions or discrepancies
- Determine who on your list may not require a review. See "Background and Policies" section above
- Prepare for completion of reviews and if applicable, pass along the spreadsheets to department contacts who may assist with the exercise
- Complete all paid and clinical adjunct faculty reviews using the attestation spreadsheets attached to your email
- Track review completion dates, reviewer name, and include any comments you’d like to provide
- The clinical adjunct faculty excel spreadsheet does not include those faculty within your department who work at a statewide campus since those reviews are done at the statewide locations. However, to ensure we are following the policy, you must still provide an opportunity for the statewide clinical adjunct faculty to meet with the SMPH department chair as you are required to do for the departmental clinical adjunct. Because of this, you will see that there is an additional tab on the departmental clinical adjunct list with names/email addresses for the statewide clinical adjunct faculty. This should help ensure you are able to also reach out to them about an opportunity to meet with the chair if they would like
- If you find any discrepancies on your clinical adjunct faculty list, please notify Dawn French ASAP so she can ensure the statewide campus associate dean is aware
- Department chair must sign the bottom of each excel spreadsheet, attesting that reviews have been completed
HRBP and/or HR Ops
- Assist departments with identifying any discrepancies and fielding questions
- Once reviews have been completed, return the completed/signed attestation spreadsheets to Faculty HR and Dawn French
- If supporting documentation from the reviews is sent to you, upload the documents to ImageNow (Faculty HR does not need the review documentation)