Topics Map > Business Office > E-Reimbursement > Vehicle Rental
Business Office - Reimbursement for Vehicle Rental
Expense Reimbursement Guidelines for Vehicle Rental from the SoHE Business Office.
Vehicle Rental Help Sheet - This tip sheet will show you how to enter a vehicle rental claim on an expense report
University employees who operate a vehicle on UW business – whether utilizing a personal vehicle, fleet vehicle, or rental vehicle – must be authorized to drive by UW-Madison Risk Management. Non-authorized drivers will not be reimbursed for vehicle-related expenses. Non-employees are not required to be authorized drivers unless they are a current UW student or a volunteer on behalf of UW.
- To confirm your status, please visit the online authorized driver database:
- Logon as a UW employee at UW-Madison.
- Click on “Reports” in the top banner, then click “Driver Summary” to search
for your name.
- If you are not found in the database you will need to register to become authorized.
- Driver authorizations take up to 10 business days, so plan ahead
- Once you’re authorized and have a WI license, you do not need to renew for subsequent trips.
- Those with out-of-state licenses or students will need to reapply. See Driver Authorization Renewal Instructions for more info.
- Any negative change in your driving record may result in revocation
- Any requests for mileage reimbursement or vehicle rental will not be processed without completed Driver Authorization.
Vehicle Rental & Gas Checklist (click for printable checklist)
The following documentation should be submitted for vehicle rental expenses:
- Itemized Vehicle Rental Receipt, along with the original vehicle rental agreement. (booked using the Big Ten Alliance contract with Enterprise and National Car Rental when renting a vehicle for business use. If Enterprise and National do not serve the location of travel, the State of Wisconsin contract with Hertz must be used.)
- Booking Methods: Contract rentals through Enterprise, National, or Hertz must be booked through Concur or directly with the University’s contracted travel agency. If Enterprise, National or Hertz do not serve a particular location and another vendor must be used, travelers are encouraged, but not required, to use the same methods to reserve a vehicle.
- UW-Madison business purpose and description of the trip and
- A justification of why a rental vehicle was chosen as the most cost-effective means of transportation vs. other options (taxis, shuttles, etc.) entered in the Description/Notes field of the expense report. May attach cost comparisons from taxi estimate websites to show cost-effectiveness, if needed (i.e. TaxiFareFinder).
- Gasoline Receipts: Receipts for gas for rental vehicles are required to support payment/reimbursement claims.
Please Note: The traveler is responsible for fueling the rental vehicle before returning it to the rental vehicle vendor. If the traveler fails to return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel, the cost of the vendor refueling the vehicle will not be paid or reimbursed by the University.
- Documentation that an approved driver application has been submitted to UW-Risk Management, if not an approved driver with Active status on the Approved Driver Database.