Topics Map > Business Office > E-Reimbursement > Other Transportation
Business Office - Reimbursement for Other Transportation
Expense Reimbursement Guidelines for Other Transportation from the SoHE Business Office.
Expense Types to use in e-Reimbursement, depending on the type of expense:
- Taxi/Subway/City Bus, etc – for local, shorter-distance transportation such as taxis, subways, city buses, local trains/monorails, etc.
- Train/Bus/Other Long Distance – for long distance or transportation between cities such as Van Galder buses, long distance trains, etc.
Payment/reimbursement will be limited to the lowest cost of the most reasonable form of public or commercial transportation options. Tips for drivers are limited to 20% of the total fare. Train travel is limited to coach class unless traveling overnight, when accommodations are limited to a roomette.
Travelers can be reimbursed for their use of ride sharing services (e.g. Uber, Lyft) while in travel status. Use of premium ride sharing services (e.g. Uber Select, Lyft Premier) is not reimbursable.
For the full policy related to the above, please see the Business Services' Long-Distance Ground and Local Transportation Policy.
Train, Bus, Taxi and Other Transportation Checklist (click for printable checklist)
The following documentation should be submitted for the above expenses :
- Itemized Receipt is required if the claimed expenses exceed $25 (with the exception of travel by long distance train, which requires a receipt regardless of the cost).
- UW-Madison business purpose with the description of the trip.
- The departing location and destination must be referenced in the Description/Notes field of the expense report (i.e., “From airport to hotel”, “From conference location to airport”)