Topics Map > Business Office > E-Reimbursement > Parking & Tolls

Business Office - Reimbursement for Parking and Tolls

Expense Reimbursement Guidelines for Parking and Tolls from the SoHE Business Office.

Parking charges incurred off-campus while on authorized official business are reimbursable.  Parking charges incurred at the employee’s permanent work site (the UW campus) are not reimbursable.  Permanent work site is defined as the entire UW-Madison campus.

Driver Authorization

University employees who operate a vehicle on UW business – whether utilizing a personal vehicle, fleet vehicle, or rental vehicle – must be authorized to drive by UW-Madison Risk Management.  Non-authorized drivers will not be reimbursed for vehicle-related expenses.  Non-employees are not required to be authorized drivers unless they are a current UW student or a volunteer on behalf of UW.

  • To confirm your status, please visit the online authorized driver database
    • Logon as a UW employee at UW-Madison.
    • Click on “Reports” in the top banner, then click “Driver Summary” to search
       for your name.
    • If you are not found in the database you will need to register to become authorized.
  • Driver authorizations take up to 10 business days, so plan ahead
  • Once you’re authorized and have a WI license, you do not need to renew for subsequent trips.
  • Those with out-of-state licenses or students will need to reapply. See Driver Authorization Renewal Instructions for more info.
  • Any negative change in your driving record may result in revocation
     of authorization.
  • Any requests for mileage reimbursement or vehicle rental will not be processed without completed Driver Authorization.

Parking and Tolls (click for printable checklist)

Expense Types to use in e-Reimbursement, depending on the type of expense: 

  • Parking – for parking expenses associated with privately owned vehicles or rental vehicles.
  • Travel Miscellaneous – for expenses for Tolls associated with privately owned vehicles or rental vehicles. (This expense type is also used for other, allowable travel-related expenses not identified by a specific expense type or included as part of M&IE per diem: tolls, internet, visa fees, currency conversion fees, etc.)

The following documentation and information is required expenses for parking and tolls:

  • Itemized Receipt is required if the claimed expense exceeds $25.  If the claimed expense is less than $25, a receipt is not required.
  • A UW-Madison business purpose and description of the trip
  • Documentation that an approved driver application has been submitted to UW-Risk Management, if not an approved driver with Active status on the Approved Driver Database.

Keywordstravel, parking, tolls, privately owned vehicle, car, driving, receipt, misc, approved driver, authorized driver, $25   Doc ID105717
OwnerAngela O.GroupSchool of Human Ecology
Created2020-09-09 14:38:22Updated2021-09-08 16:10:13
SitesSchool of Human Ecology
Feedback  0   0