|Demonstrates leadership qualities
- Vision: Clearly articulates a compelling vision of the unit’s future and develops clear plans to ensure that aspirations are realized.
- Integrity: Honors commitments and is trusted by others. Consistently makes decisions with the University’s best interests in mind.
- Effective Communication: Uses listening, observing and questioning skills to communicate with others. Presents words, images and ideas in an interesting and meaningful manner,
- Decisiveness: Makes difficult decisions in a timely manner to facilitate change and overcome impasses to serve the best interest of the unit and University
- Composure: Stays composed in high-pressure situations. Keeps anger and frustration under control to respond appropriately in confrontational situations.
- Respect: Exercises respect by engaging with differing viewpoints in ways that advance shared purposes
|Moves the Department and the SoHE Forward
- Fostering and Facilitating Change: Anticipates and adapts to emerging institutional and societal needs and helps individuals overcome resistance to change
- Innovation: Looks for and seizes opportunities to improve programs, services and operations.
- Innovation and Community Engagement: Extends the unit’s impact through community service and initiatives that apply expertise to societal and community challenges.
- Innovation in Research: Provides support and incentives for vital research.
|Builds a high-performance culture
- Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Demonstrates a commitment to building and sustain a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Actively solicits diverse perspectives. Treats everyone in respectful manner and hold others accountable for doing the same. Actively works to recruit and retain a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Conflict Management: Has created a culture in which individuals feel safe in expressing divergent points of view. Respectfully considers divergent perspectives and proposed creative solutions to address concerns. Addresses concerns promptly and effectively.
- Development and Feedback: Creates opportunities for professional growth development. Ensures that annual performance reviews are conducted.
- Effective Staffing: Recruits, retains, effectively manages and supports a productive workforce.
- Faculty Recruitment and retention: Recruits, retains and support the success of a divers and outstanding faculty.
- Recognizes Achievement: Recognizes accomplishments of faculty and staff through awards, nominations, publicity and other venues.
|Forges partnerships and alliances internally and externally
- Relationship Building (Internal): Establishes effective internal relationships and alliances that move the University forward.
- Relationship Building (External): Establishes external relationships and alliances that move the University forward.
- Responsiveness (Internal): Is accessible and listens and responds promptly to internal constituents (e.g., students, faculty, staff, administrators, colleagues). Uses data and feedback to improve service delivery and program design.
- Responsiveness (External): Listens and responds promptly to external constituents and stakeholders (e.g., community leaders, corporate entities, government officials, alumni, the press).
|Manages resources effectively
- Resource Acquisition: Is effective in attracting external resources/donations.
- Resource Management: Manages capital, financial and human resources prudently and responsively to do things more effectively and less expensively while investing in areas critical to the SoHE’s long-term success.