SoHE Return to Research Resources

This page provides Return to Research resources and guidance for SoHE faculty, staff, and students.

Update as of March 26, 2021

The OVCRGE has announced a change in the spacing requirements for those on campus – 113 square feet per person in labs (6-foot radius of separation) – while several other campus health and safety measures continue.

Researchers in SoHE are no longer required to submit Research Reboot forms when making requests for building access. A new process is outlined below.

To request researcher (faculty, student, or staff) access to Nancy Nicholas Hall:

Faculty members or Center Directors should notify SoHE with new or changed research-related building access plans for themselves or those conducting research under their supervision (i.e., staff or students). Requests should be submitted via email to the Facilities Manager, John Hilgers (, and to Sarah Marcotte, Research Administrator ( with the following information included in the request:

  • Names, titles, roles of the individuals requesting access
  • Which projects or research programs the research relates to
  • Start Date (and if applicable, Stop Date) for the access
  • Room number(s) to be accessed in NNH
  • Schedule of when faculty, staff, students will be in the building: Days, times for each person for each room number

The requestor will be notified with approval for the activities. All students, faculty, and staff will need to verify their building access status before entering the building and adhere to campus health and safety protocols.

Off-site essential research requiring a travel exemption

Changes have been made to UW–Madison sponsored travel for employees, graduate students, and undergraduates participating in in-person research or instructional field activities. Read the full announcement for additional details.

  • Employees, graduate students, and undergraduates participating in in-person research or instructional field activities can now take single-day trips using ground transportation, regardless of destination, without prior approval.
  • Essential research off-site that requires an overnight stay or international travel remains restricted. Individuals who wish to request an exemption to the restriction must complete an Essential Travel Exemption Form and submit it to Natalie Feggestad ( for approval.

Have questions about returning to research? Please contact Sarah Marcotte (


Q1: I was previously approved to access NNH through the Research Reboot process. Do I need to resubmit that request if I am continuing to work in the building?
No. However, if you need to update or change what has been approved previously (i.e., new students or staff need access; or the rooms or access schedules will change), please submit an email per the above instructions. outlining the changes.

Q2: Can students or staff submit research-related building access requests for their own activities?
 No. Faculty or Center Directors must submit requests for staff and students under their supervision.

Q3: My research is occurring off-site. Do I need to submit a request?
No. However, if the research is restricted (involves an overnight stay or international travel) you must submit an Essential Travel Exemption Form per the instructions outlined above.

Q4: I would like access to Nancy Nicholas Hall for non-research purposes. Do I need to submit a research reboot request?
No, however, all non-research related building or room access requests must be submitted via email to Natalie Feggestad ( and John Hilgers (

Q5: I would like to access a campus library for research purposes. What is the process?
Please refer to the libraries' home page for further guidance.

Additional Resources

SoHE Reopen Plan Fall 2020

SoHE Reopen Resources and Communications

Required training for on-campus activities

Keywords:return research reboot   Doc ID:104632
Owner:Sarah M.Group:School of Human Ecology
Created:2020-08-04 13:20 CDTUpdated:2021-04-06 08:56 CDT
Sites:School of Human Ecology
Feedback:  0   0