WSUM Community Outreach Coordinator
The WSUM Community Outreach Coordinator is an annual, paid student staff position at WSUM Student Radio.
- Promote WSUM philosophy and services through daily fulfillment of duties;
- Assist the General Manager and the appropriate Student Management personnel in ensuring that WSUM is serving its communities in accordance with FCC rules and expectations;
- Develop and maintain connections with the community and organizations both on campus and off campus;
- Maintain frequent interaction and communication with the WSUM staff, directors/managers and committee members who affect community-related matters;
- Oversee (as directed by the Station Manager or General Manager) preparation and execution of community events
STATION DUTIES AND OPERATIONS
- Assist in creating, devising and implementing community-related programming on WSUM;
- Serve as a member of the Student Management Board;
- Assist in developing and maintaining working relations with the community and with the Friends of Madison Student Radio;
- Assist in actively promoting cultural diversity and integrity within WSUM and its departments.
- If asked by the Station Manager, assist in the recruitment and the selection of WSUM paid student staff.
- Uphold the WSUM By-laws and actively participate in the initiation, review and implementation of WSUM Station Manual as well as department policies and procedures.
- Recruit WSUM staff. Actively work to improve the profile of WSUM in the community and monitor its progress.
- Carry out those duties assigned by General Manager, the Station Manager.
- Generally, the Community Outreach Coordinator is expected to*:
- Help plan and coordinate the set-up, operation and tear down of WSUM community events;
- Maintain a database of community resources both on and off campus;
- Be intimately aware of volunteer opportunities available through the campus volunteer organizations and create links to WSUM on air and off air programs;
- Be generally aware of Registered Student Organizations on campus and keep them apprised of WSUM’s public service mission and how it might affect these organizations;
- Complete special projects as assigned by the General Manager or her/his designee;
- Keep and update WSUM Alumni database.
VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS OF THE POSITION
The Community Outreach Coordinator sets the standards for WSUM staff. S/he is expected to set an example, be accessible, and to assist the Station Manager in leading the station forward by creating opportunities for involvement, resolving challenges as they arise, and assisting in strategic planning as to how WSUM can better meet its mission.
The Community Outreach Coordinator must be committed to WSUM’s core values as expressed in its Mission Statement. In summary:
- WSUM will act in a service and outreach capacity for the students of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and people of Madison and surrounding communities. The Community Outreach Coordinator shall show leadership in supporting and assisting in the development of strong ties to these communities.
- WSUM will provide an educational environment and valuable hands-on experience. The Community Outreach Coordinator will support the General Manager and Station Manager in efforts to establish curricular connections. Overall, the Community Outreach Coordinator will support the educational needs and goals of students in an environment where curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular student learning is valued. She or he will take part in training, if requested.
- WSUM will also provide an alternative source of music and information programming to the campus and community. The Community Outreach Coordinator is expected to provide support the on-air staff by helping to produce on-air announcements (e.g., PSAs and other community-related announcements.), as well as on-air programming and off-air events.
The WSUM Community Outreach Coordinator is an appointed position, at the discretion of the General Manager and Station Manager. The appointee need not be confirmed by the Governance Board. WSUM seeks candidates with a strong commitment to community involvement and volunteerism, willingness to take direction, demonstrated dedication to the WSUM mission, and who are dependable. The staff and management of WSUM subscribe to all applicable policies and procedures governing Equal Employment Opportunities. WSUM’s continuing policy is to afford equal opportunity to qualified individuals for employment and/or advancement regardless of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, veteran or marital status, native language, political affiliation, or any other arbitrary factor that has no relevance to participation in station activities. In hiring, the station shall also conform to all other applicable laws and regulations. This policy of equal opportunity covers all aspects of employment.
The position requires the staff person to be available for a variety of hours during the week, some at night and some on weekends. Being available to students is a critical element in the successful performance of the position’s responsibilities. Participation in all-station and student management meetings is required throughout the calendar year. It is paid on an hourly basis. Each Community Outreach Coordinator position is a commitment to an average of approximately 8 hours per week over the 48 weeks of their renewable appointment. In no case may a Community Outreach Coordinator work more than 40 hours per week with an 8HR/Day limit or over the annual allotment of hours for that position.
Applications are accepted approximately a month or more prior to onset, or on a shorter timeline if an unexpected opening occurs. Community Outreach Coordinator candidates are interviewed by the General Manager and Station Manager. The selected candidate takes office as early as the first day of January or at some other mutually agreeable time.
PLEASE NOTE: This is in addition to the expectations laid out in the WSUM by-laws.