UW-Madison Final Exam General Information and Grading Deadline
L&S follows campus Final Exam Policies and final grade submission deadlines; more information is below.
Campus Final Exam Policies
The campus final exam policy covers all final assessments for fall and spring term numbered below 700 (with the exception of undergraduate seminar and independent study courses)
- Final exams and final assessments may only be scheduled during a course's assigned final exam time block. (Or, if a take-home final exam, may only be due at the time block.) Final exams and assessments may not be given or be due during the last two week of scheduled classes.
- The day before the beginning of the final exam period is for student study and review. No classes or exams may be scheduled this day.
- The Office of the Registrar assigns final exam time blocks to classes, to minimize student time conflicts. Instructors may not change their assigned final exam time block unless they have receive permission from Associate Dean Shirin Malekpour.
- Students with more than one final exam in a 24 hour period may ask their instructor to schedule a make-up final. Instructors may, but are not required to grant these requests. Make-up exams must be of the same general nature and quality as the original one.
- Policies about the final exam period ("Summary period") can be found in FP&P, primarily in II-105 Summary Period for Academic Semester
- Graduate courses (course number 700 or higher) and undergraduate seminar
courses, independent study, and directed study courses are exempt from
these regulations. Students enrolled in these courses should contact
their instructors regarding final evaluation requirements.
Deadline for Instructors to Submit Final Grades
Deadline to submit Fall 2020 final grades: 11:59 p.m. Monday, December 21, 2020. Instructors that have both extenuating circumstances and also have final exams on the last three days of the exam schedule may be able to request an extension. See for the Office of the Registrar's Grades and Grading Policy for more information.