UW-Madison Qualtrics - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Known Issues
This is a list of frequently asked questions and answers about the Qualtrics service through UW-Madison.
- Is there training available for Qualtrics?
- Does UW-Madison Qualtrics use my legal name or my preferred name in my profile?
- Can I log in using my departmental email address or Office 365 Service Account? e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- What Qualtrics features are supported for UW Madison users?
- Why can I only send 10 emails?
- What is the distribution sending limit?
- Can I share a survey outside of our organization?
- @survey.wisc.edu: how to request an alternate address
- Can I request a Qualtrics Group?
- No text in the Progress Bar
- What are other common Qualtrics Survey Errors?
- What are the known usability and accessibility concerns with Qualtrics survey questions?
Is there training available for Qualtrics?
The UW-Madison Qualtrics Service Team does not offer any in person training for the Qualtrics software. However, Qualtrics has a wealth of free webinars to help you get started with the service. See: Qualtrics On-Demand Webinars
You will be required to Login in order access many of the Webinars. On the sign-in page you will need to select "Sign in with SSO" and enter uwmadison as the Organization ID.
Does UW-Madison Qualtrics use my legal name or my preferred name in my profile?
UW-Madison Qualtrics will display your preferred name if you have one set, otherwise your legal name is used. Your Qualtrics profile is updated at each login. If you change your preferred name you need to login to Qualtrics in order for the change to be reflected in your Qualtrics profile. For more information about changing your preferred name see, MyUW - Using the "Preferred Name" App.
Can I log in using my departmental email address or Office 365 Service Account? e.g. email@example.com
No, Office 365 Service Accounts can not log-in to UW Madison Qualtrics. See Office 365 - Applications that Office 365 service accounts can access using NetID login for the list of services that support O365 Service Account access.
Qualtrics Groups can be used to share surveys with a work group or team. For additional information, please see: UW-Madison Qualtrics - Groups
What Qualtrics features are supported for UW Madison users?
UW System licenses the Qualtrics Research Core survey application which includes several add-on application:
The following Qualtrics Integrations and Add Ons are not supported for use in the UW Madison Brand:
- Adobe Analytics
- Conjoint Analysis
- Panel Management
- Sensitive Data Policy & Enhanced Ballot Box Stuffing Features
- SMS Surveys
- Tango Card Task/Single-Instance Incentives
- XM Directory
- Zapier Integration
Other Qualtrics products that are not available to UW Madison Qualtrics accounts includes Qualtrics Employee Experience, Qualtrics Customer Experience, Qualtrics Brand Experience and Qualtrics Product Experience.
Why can I only send 10 emails?
Survey Owners: Typically when survey owners run into email sending limits it is because they have signed up for a Trial Qualtrics account instead of provisioning an account in the UW-Madison Brand. Please make sure you are logging in here: https://uwmadison.qualtrics.com
For more information about Trial Accounts, please see: Trial Accounts FAQ.
Survey Collaborators: The other common reasons why people run into sending limits is when a survey has been shared with a collaborator in another Qualtrics Brand. Behind the scenes Qualtrics creates a "sharing" or ghost account in the survey owner's Brand. Sharing accounts are limited to 10 emails. When the collaborator accesses the survey it is within the context of the sharing account with the associated email limitation. The only way around this limit is to have the survey owner distribute the survey to respondents.
What is the distribution sending limit?
Accounts within the UW Madison Qualtrics Brand are limited to 50,000 emails per week. It is possible to temporarily raise that limit. Please contact UW-Madison Qualtrics Brand Administrators firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I share a survey outside of our organization?
All users in the UW Madison Qualtrics Brand are Enabled to both "Collaborate Inside of the Organization" and "Collaborate Outside of the Organization". If you are having difficulty sharing with a non-UW-Madison user please verify the following:
- Are you using the correct email address or Qualtrics username for the other account?
- Does the other user's account allow collaboration outside of the organization? Not all Brands allow their users to do this.
- Is the other account a Trial Account? Free personal Qualtrics accounts do not allow the user to collaborate on surveys.
For more information on inviting survey collaborators see: Collaborating on a Project.
@survey.wisc.edu: how to request an alternate address
Note:We recommend against changing the default From Email Address of Qualtrics distributions. However, we recognize that there are some cases where users prefer to receive the bounce messages from distributions or have other concerns related to using the Qualtrics provided From Address.
The @survey.wisc.edu domain is setup specifically for use in the From Address field when sending emails from within Qualtrics. To request an alternate email address in this domain please contact the Domain Administrators for survey.wisc.edu at email@example.com. Please provide the following information:
- Address you are requesting (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The NetID or Service account that will have the address as an alternate.
For more information about alternate addresses please see: Office 365 - Manage Alternate Email Addresses
Can I request a Qualtrics Group?
Yes! See UW-Madison Qualtrics - Groups for details on how to request a UW Madison Qualtrics Group.
No text in the Progress Bar
Selecting "Progress Bar: With Text" in Look & Feel of an existing survey does not add text to the progress bar. There was an issue with the UW Madison 1 theme that was preventing the text from displaying properly. This has been fixed for new surveys. For existing surveys:
- Select a different theme (e.g. SRSS1)
- Save the Look & Feel settings
- Verify the new theme by previewing the survey
- Change back to the UW Madison 1
Note:This will also have the effect of updating the survey to the latest version of the UW Madison 1 theme (last update: 5/15/2017).