Canvas - Upload, access, and share video in Canvas with Kaltura My Media
This document describes how users can access their media and various Kaltura functions from inside Canvas by using "Kaltura My Media".
UW-Madison users can access Kaltura MediaSpace tools and their media by logging into mediaspace.wisc.edu. Users can also access Kaltura MediaSpace tools and their media by using Kaltura My Media inside Canvas. You can then embed it anywhere in Canvas you can use the Canvas rich content editor (RCE).
Accessing Kaltura My Media in Canvas
Users can access Kaltura My Media two different ways - their user profile and a Canvas course navigation option. The first time you access Kaltura My Media you may be prompted to authorize Canvas to access your Kaltura account. If you are prompted to, click Authorize.
Access Kaltura My Media via your user profile
- While logged into Canvas click on your user icon in the upper left,
- Click on Kaltura My Media:
- Your My Media page will display which includes all your uploaded media, and media that has been shared with you as a co-publisher, or co-editor.
Access Kaltura My Media via your Canvas course navigation
Instructors can activate Kaltura My Media as a course navigation option by adding it via Settings → Navigation. For more directions on how an instructor can enable this option, see How do I manage Course Navigation links?. If an instructor has activated this option, users can access "Kaltura My Media" from the course navigation:
Upload videos to Kaltura My Media
After accessing Kaltura My Media by one of the above methods you can upload an audio or video file by following these instructions:
- On the My Media screen, click the Add New button and click Media Upload.
- Read the notification and click the checkbox indicating you agree to the terms and conditions if you do.
- Click Choose a File to Upload, locate the file on your computer, and select it. Kaltura will display a progress bar as the file uploads.
- On the "Upload Media" page enter a name, description, tags, and add collaborators.
- Click Save.
After the video is uploaded, Kaltura will take additional time to initially list your video in your "My Media" area. When it does appear in My Media an icon indicating it is still processing will display until it is done processing. Shorter videos are usually processed within 10 minutes, but longer videos like lectures captures will take more time - on average 2-3 times the duration of the video. You cannot preview or publish a video while it is being processed. You can edit media information.
By default the video is private and only viewable by you. You can embed
the video in your Canvas course anywhere the Canvas rich content editor
(RCE) is available by following Canvas - How to embed a video in Canvas with the rich content editor (RCE) using Kaltura Media (UW-Madison) . Alternately you can publish it to a Canvas course media gallery by clicking Published. Kaltura will display a list of courses you are enrolled in. Check the desired classes and click Save.