Green Office Certification
The Green Office Certification program assists campus offices in becoming more sustainable workplaces.
The certification consists of four-levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. To advance to the next level, offices must complete a checklist of action items, listed below. More information is located on the Green Office Teams Channel.
Gold: Sustainable PurchasingMore to come.
Silver: Energy & WaterWorking Together
- We have participated in the Silver Level presentation given by the Green Office Team.
- We have completed our two-week check-in to discuss our office’s successes and areas of concern regarding energy & water use management.
- We use the provided signage to ensure office staff does not overuse energy and water.
- We contact the Green Office Team if we have questions about energy & water use management.
Energy Use & Conservation
- We educate all employees about energy use and conservation practices and train all new employees as part of their orientation.
- We have completed the Energy Audit Activity and discussed the results as an office.
- We use LED light bulbs rather than CFLs or incandescent light bulbs.
- We use smart-strips or switch-activated power-strips when possible.
- We use communal office appliances in a central location rather than individual office appliances in individual office spaces.
- We ensure lights are switched off when leaving individual office spaces for an extended period of time and when the last person leaves every day.
- We ensure all personal computers, personal printers, and personal/communal appliances (except for refrigerators) are switched off at the end of each day (not just in “sleep mode”).
- We switch off or turn down heating or air conditioning at the end of each day.
- We use natural lighting and ventilation whenever possible.
- We encourage office staff to carpool, walk/bike, or use public transit whenever possible.
Water Use & Conservation
- We only brew the amount of coffee that will be consumed by the office staff.
- We do not run the faucet continuously while washing our hands or dishes.
- We check our building sinks and toilets regularly for leaks and service them as soon as possible.
- We have educated our staff on the impacts of salting and utilize proper techniques.
Bronze Level: Waste Management & RecyclingWorking Together
- We have participated in the Bronze Level presentation given by the Green Office Team.
- We have completed our two-week check-in to discuss our office’s successes and areas of concern regarding waste management & recycling.
- We contact the Green Office Team if we have questions about waste management & recycling.
- We have signed up for the Office of Sustainability Newsletter to stay up-to-date on campus sustainability initiatives.
Reduce & Reuse
- We have reusable mugs or dishes available for office staff instead of plastic or disposable ones.
- We try to bring items from home in reusable packaging.
- We limit the purchase of bottled water or individually packaged beverages for our office and try to buy in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
- We set our printers to print double-sided as the default and reuse scrap paper when possible.
- We keep our meetings paperless when possible and limit the printing of emails.
- We limit the use of laminated or foil paper and cellophane.
- We have a canvas bag on hand for use in the office.
Recycling & Waste Management
- We educate all employees about waste collection practices and train all new employees as part of their orientation.
- We have trash and recycling bins centrally located with clear signage.
- We keep an office paper bin near the printer for easy access.
- We have a collection system in the office for specialty items such as batteries, printer cartridges, Styrofoam, and small electronic waste.