Weekly Team Meetings

Fall 2021
  1. Meetings will be on Tuesdays from 4:00 to 5:00 pm online. In person meeting will be once an month at TBD.  Follow this link to join the meeting. 
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development).
 WeekDate  Presenter Topic Tell your lab group partners what do to to prepare for constructive participation in the session you'll lead)
 109/14
 -Group - - Updates - -Updates and plan for the lab meetings during the Fall semester - 
 209/21
 -Cancelled - -  - - The group will attend the ADSA 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting Webinar Series: Methane emission  -
 309/28
- Cancelled --   -- World Dairy Expo week-
 410/05
 -  MaryGrace- - AnSci 101 - - Feedback on AnSci 101 ruminant nutrition lab. -
 510/12
-  - -  - - Fun meeting: In person lab meeting during a walk on campus -
 610/19
-Paulina -  -Defense  - - Presentation mock-up. On 10/19 students will have a traning for AALAC reaccreditation-
 710/26-  Dante- - AnSci 101 - -  Feedback on AnSci 101 sustainability lab -
 811/02
-  - -  - - Fun meeting: In person lab meeting and lunch with the group! -
 911/09- Paulina - - Defense  - - Presentation mock-up-
 1011/16- Hayden - - Presentation - -  Hayden will show the results of his Farrington project titled: Analysis of Dairy Cattle Urine Preservation Methods - 
 1111/23

- Fun meeting: In person lab meeting and lunch with the group -
 1211/30
- Paulina - - Defense- -Presentation mock-up-
 1312/07  - Dante- - - - Graduate seminar mock up-
 1412/14 - Kate- - - - TBD -
 

Summer 2021
  1. Meetings will be on Mondays from 4:00 to 5:00 pm online.  Follow this link to join the meeting. 
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development).
 Week Date   Presenter  Topic  Tell your lab group partners what do to to prepare for constructive participation in the session you'll lead)
 1 05/24
 - -  -  -  - Updates from Christy - First impression of Camtesia as a software for pre-recorded presentation - 
 2 05/31
 - - -  - - Cancelled  (help with Methane training for period 2 methane sampling) -
 3 06/07
-  --   - - Cancelled  (help with period 2 week 4 sampling) -
 4 06/14
 -  -  -  -  - MAW 636 comments from sampling week. Plan for ADSA oral presentation and posters. MaryGrace and Haden will share their plans for the Farrington project-
 5 06/21
-  -  -  -  - NACTA meeting online. The group will give feedback to Kate and Paulina on ADSA poster/presentation. They will send the recording of the before Monday. During Monday meeting half of the time will be dedicated for Kate feedback and the other half for Paulina feedback  -
 6 06/28
-  -  -  - - On going methane sampling MAW 636. Kate and Paulina will send an updated version of the ADSA presentation to the group via e-mail. Each person will give them feed-back via e-mail. Whoever is available to attend the meeting will give additional feed back to Kate and Paulina. Additionally, Hayden and MG will share plans for the Farrington project. 
 707/05-  -  -  - - 4th of July Holiday - Meeting cancelled -
 8 07/12
-  -  -  - - ADSA Meeting online -
 9 07/19
-  - -   - -  Discussion of Kate (Maybe Dante?) experimental design and statistical design-
 10 07/26 -  -  -  -
 - Cancel lab meeting. Methane emissions measurments MAW 636  - 
 11 08/02
-  -  -  -  -   -
 12 08/09
-  -  - -  - The group will discuss the new format of RNP 1 organized by Dr. Ferrareto and who will enroll it for Fall 2021. Eric Ronk will share details about 101 course organization.  -
 13  08/16   - -  - -  - Short meeting for updates. Define time slots for fall weekly individual meetings. Discuss about date/time for celebration of the end of MG study and date/time for getting together informally as a group -
 14 08/24 - - - - - Informal in person lab meeting at the AnSci bulding. MaryGrace, Christy and others will bring cookies or something to share with the group. -
 15  08/30   - -  - -  -  Meeting cancelled due to Discover conference-




Spring 2021
  1. Meetings will be on Mondays from 4:00 to 5:00 pm online.  Follow this link to join the meeting. 
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development).
 Week Date   Presenter  Topic  Tell your lab group partners what do to to prepare for constructive participation in the session you'll lead)
 1 01/25
 -MaryGrace-  - 1st 2021 meeting-  - Share plans for the semester and plan future lab meetings. MaryGrace will share her NACTA abstract- 
 2 02/01
 -Paulina - - ADSA abstract - -Paulina will share her abstract for ADSA. She expects feedback and comments to improve it-
 3 02/08
- Kate-- ADSA abstract  -  - Kate will share her abstract for ADSA. She expects feedback and comments to improve it - 
 4 02/15
 - Paulina -  -Prelims -  - Each student will prepare question to ask Paulina as a mock up for her prelims. Also, MaryGrace wants to discuss about the Adisseo call for proposals-
 5 02/22
- Kate-  -  ADSA abstract -  - Kate will share her abstract for ADSA. She expects feedback and comments to improve it  -
 6 03/01
- MG and Paulina -  - Diets and ADSA abstract - - MaryGrace will share her experimental diets and Paulina will share her abstracts for ADSA -
 703/08-Paulina-  - Prelims- - Prelim mock up -
 8 03/15
- MaryGrace -  - Experiment - - MaryGrace will update us on her plans for her trial: diets and calendar-
 9 03/22
-Everyone - - Greenfeed- - Greenfeed discussion -
 10 03/29 - Everyone -  - General Updates-
 - All members of the lab shared general updates with each other- 
 11 04/05
- Everyone -  - General Updates-  - All members of the lab shared general updates with each other. Specially MaryGrace shared some of her concerns with the greenfeed use in her study -
 12 04/12
- Cancelled-  - -  --
 13  04/19   - MaryGrace -  - Seminar-  - MaryGrace will share her seminar presentation with the group. She expects feedback to improve it -
 14  04/26   -Paulina -  - Seminar -  -  Paulina will share her seminar presentation with the group. She expects feedback to improve. Geoff will join the lab meeting  -




Fall 2020
  1. Meetings will be on Mondays from 1:30 to 2:30 pm online.  Follow This link to join the meeting. 
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development).
 Week Date   Presenter  Topic  Tell your lab group partners what do to to prepare for constructive participation in the session you'll lead)
 1 09/21
 --  --  -- 
 2 09/28
 -Kate- -Research Plan- -Kate will share her plans for her starting heifer trial. She will go over sampling schedule, measurments and protocols. -
- Additionally we will discuss about the 3 minutes thesis competition open for grad students and the possibility of any of us to participate. -
 3 10/05
- Paulina--  Meta-analysis - - IPaulina will share materials and methods and tables of results. Paulina would like everybody to discuss about the statistical model and the results of the analysis.
 410/12
 -MaryGrace- -CP Oscillation- -MaryGrace will send a summary of her plans and ask for feedback on experimental procedures. -
 5 10/19
- Dante-  -Kernza trial- -Dante will share experimental procedures and ask for feedback-
610/26
 -Kate- -Heifer trial- -Discussion of methane measurements and heifers-
 7 11/02
- Paulina-  -Meta-analysis- -Discussion of results and the possible biological implications-
 811/09-MaryGrace-  -AnSci 101 Cattle & Environment Lab- -Discuss activities for the lab-
 9 11/16
- Dante-  -Kernza trial- -Discussion new experimental procedure-
 10 11/23
- Kate- -Heifer trial- - Summary of the Heifer Project part 1 and methane and carbon dioxide data.  Meeting will start at 2:00 pm -
 11 11/30 - Paulina-  -Meta-analysis-
 - Michel has a conflict.  Rescheduled to 3:30pm - 
 12 12/07
-MaryGrace-  -CP Oscillation-  -MaryGrace shared format of result tables-
 13 12/21
-Dante-  -Kernza trial-  -Discussion of the experimental diets-
 14 12/23  -Kate- -Lit review- -Kate will share progress on her literature review 3:00 pm-




Spring 2018
  1. Meetings will be on Fridays from 3:00 to 4:00 pm in room 432 Animal Sciences Building. 
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development.).
 Week Date   Name  Topic  Notes (what to do for participants to prepare for the discussion)
 1 01/12
 Group  MAW 564 Sampling
ADSA Abstract
DY SCI 900 Topic
 Wrap up & Thanking for MAW 564 sampling
 ADSA, 2018 abstract update from each of us
 Discussing which 100-Year Review of JDS will be covered in DY SCI 900 (section 014) 
 2 01/19
 GroupADSA Abstract Update You are expected to share your ADSA abstract update with the group.
 You can bring & discuss any questions/issues related with your data, statistical model, data analyses & writing abstract.
 3 01/26
 GroupAbstract Update  You are expected to share your ADSA & ISNH abstract update with the group.
  Fernanda will present her work from Brazil entitled "Effect of condensed tannin on rumen         
   microbes".
 402/02
 GroupAbstract Update Fei will share his writing camp experience through a workshop using Omar's abstract as an example.
 You all are expected to share your ADSA abstract update with the group.
 5 02/09
 Group Abstract Update You all are expected to share your ADSA abstract/any other project work update with the group.
02/16
 GroupAbstract Update You all are expected to share your ADSA abstract/any other project work update with the group. 
 Everybody will give feedback on your abstract for further improvement.  
 7 02/23
 Group  Informal Meeting We will meet in Union South at 3:15 PM for an informal meeting regarding Fernanda's farewell. 
 803/02 Group  Article DiscussionGiving feedback to Omar's article entitled 'Effect of replacing crude protein from alfalfa hay with crude protein from triticale hay on milk production, Nitrogen partitioning, and urea Nitrogen metabolism in dairy cows'.
 9 03/09
 Group  Article DiscussionGiving feedback to Liang et al.s article entitled 'Potential of organic dairies to reduce the carbon footprint of milk production: Assessment of multiple functional units'.
 10 03/16
 Group Fei's ArticleGiving feedback to Fei on article entitled 'Effects of starch versus dextrose at two levels of rumen degradable protein in iso-nitrogenous diets on lactation performance, ruminal parameters, digestibility, enteric methane emission, and N balance in dairy cows '.
 11 03/23  Group  Lit Review
Giving feedback to Paulina's Master's Thesis Literature Review. 
 12 03/30

   No meeting
 13 04/06
 Group Fei' Article Giving feedback to Fei on article entitled 'Feeding behaviour of lactating dairy cows with contrasting predicted residual feed intake fed two levels of forage neutral detergent fiber in diet'.
 14 4/20  Omar     & Paulina Mock Up Omar and Paulina are going to give a mock up of DYSCI departmental seminar presentation 
 to get feed back. 




Fall 2017
  1. Meetings will be on Fridays from 3:00 to 4:00 pm in room 432 Animal Sciences Building. After meeting, we will join in the Terrace at Memorial Union (if the weather allows) or in The Sett at Union South.
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development.).
 Week Date   Name  Topic  Notes (what to do for participants to prepare for the discussion)
 1 09/22
 Group  Welcome Fall semester New people in the group: Tatiana, Fernanda, Benito, and Francisco... Welcome to the Wattiaux's Lab!... Michel will be leading this meeting. We will go through current research (Elias & Omar's trial), coming trial in Arlington WI, and future Fei and Paulina's trials. 
 2 09/29
 All  Research  Everyone in the team will present a short review of the research that they are involved in, regardless of stage of their research (in progress, finished, in plans).
 3 10/06
 Group  Arlington trial Sandy will be leading this meeting to explain us the logistic for the coming trial in Arlington. Please everyone be prepared with some hypothesis that could be tested by using "pair cows". 
 410/13
 Fei  Research First half of the meeting will focus in data from trial MAW-502 showing correlation between methane and brain-chain VFA. In the second half of the meeting will focus in data of RFI, feeding behavior and their correlation with NDF level. 
 5 10/20
Fei & Paulina Lit. Review Paulina and Fei will present their outline of literature review corresponding to their thesis. We will discuss what should be included on this chapter. 
 6 10/27
Francisco RFI  Residual Feed Intake 
 7 11/03
Elias /Fernanda, Francisco, Benito  Research 3:00 - 3:30 Elias: Manure application trial 
3:30 - 4:00 Fernanda, Francisco, Benito: Arlington trial updates. 
 8 11/10
All Research We could also review last updates for Arlington trial. 
 9 11/17
All Research We will review details of Arlington's trial such as schedule for sampling, supplies for lab analysis, and others. 
Also, we will be reviewing the supplies list for lab analysis that we will do in near future. To do so, please be prepared with your lab procedures, supplies, and questions to get feedback.
 10 11/24
 - - - - No meeting   Thanksgiving 
 11 12/01 All Miscellaneous
Fei will be sharing his experience of last year in PDPW Business Conference: http://www.pdpw.org/businessconference/
We will reviewing last updates of Arlington trial (MAW-564). In addition, sampling is coming soon so we will checking schedule, procedures, and other details. 
 12 12/08
- - - -  No meeting  Team will be performing a mock-up of sampling in Arlington for MAW-564
 13 12/15
All   Miscellaneous For our last meeting of this semester the agenda includes: 
- ADSA abstracts participations 
- Outcomes of first period sampling of MAW-564 
- Availability for help in second period sampling of MAW-564








Fall 2016
  1. Meetings will be on Tuesdays 16h00 - 17h10, room 432 Animal Sciences Building.
  2. Our main goal is to allow presenters to update the group and seek feedback on research issues that they are currently involved in, regardless of stage of their research (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development.) The second goal is to learn how to critically evaluate manuscript.
 Week Date   Name  Topic  Notes (what to do for participants to prepare for the discussion)
 1 08/23

 Matias  Methane and RFI  We will watch a JAM presentation  and be prepared to discuss McDowell et al. JAS 94:1179-1193. Effect of divergence in phenotypic residual feed intake on methane emissions, luminal fermentation...
 2 08/30

   ----  No meeting  Semester starts in a week!
 3 09/06

 Tiago  N balance data- MAW454  Tiago will present his data with a focus on MUN, and be prepare to discuss the paper from Huhtanen et al. JDS 98:3282-3196. Evaluation of between-cow variation in milk urea and rumen ammonia nitrogen concentrations and the association with nitrogen utilization and diet digestibility in lactating cows.
 409/13

 Elias  Comparing methane emission in dairy cows measured by respiration chamber and sensor  Elias will present his Master's work from Europe, and please read Garnsworthy et al JDS 95:3166-3180 On-farm methane measurements during milking correlate with total methane production by individual dairy cows and the paper of Lassen et al., 2012 Accuracy of noninvasive breath methane measurements using Fourier transform infrared methods on individual cows.
 5 09/20

All !  Diet and method effects on CH4 measurements  Be prepared to discuss the following article from Hammond et al, JSD 99:7904-7917 Effects of diet forage source and neutral detergent fiber content on milk production of dairy cattle and methane emissions determined using GreenFeed and respiration chamber techniques.
 6 09/27

Paulina  Methane and Forage Maturity   Read the paper that Paulina just published on JDS (Congratulations!) Muñoz et al., 2016 and she will share her work during her bachelor program.
 7 10/04

 --  Optional  Visit with Elanco Animal Health, Chile: Gonzalo Ojeda Barría, Sergio Eugenio Gallardo, and Monica Alejandra Barrientos.
 8 10/11
 
 All  Review manuscript   Please write a one-page review of this manuscript according to JDS guidelines: Diet-CP-Ammonia-Emission.pdf
 9 10/18

 Fei  Manuscript Discussion   We will discuss manuscript by Mutsvangwa et al., 2016  and each person will be assigned with table/figures.
 10 10/25

 Nick  Manuscript Discussion   We will discuss manuscript by Roman-Garcia et al., 2016 and each person will be assigned with table/figures.
 11 11/01

 Nick  Manuscript Discussion   We will discuss manuscript by White et al., 2016 and each person will be assigned with table/figures.
 12  11/08

 Omar  Manuscript Discussion   We will discuss manuscript and each person will be assigned with table/figures.
 13  11/15

 Omar  Project update   Omar will present partial result of his trial  “Using a pen study upon commercial conditions: Triticale could replace alfalfa as protein forage source in the feeding of lactating dairy cows" which was done in Mexico last spring. Attached are two pen study papers for your information 
 Belloet et al., 2016 and St-Pierre 2007
 14  11/22 --  No meeting  Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
 15  11/29

 Elias   Project update  Elias is going to present the preliminary plan of his trial to get feedback from you. Also, read this paper for dietary effect of ruminating behavior between Holstein and Jersey cows to assist discussion.
 16  12/06

 Fei  Project update  Fei is going to present his research on the effects of NFC source and RDP level on enteric methane, nitrogen utilization, and performance for lactating dairy cows. In addition, Fei will also present his most recent findings on the correlations between phenotypic RFI of the cows in this trial and performance and N excretion. 
 17  12/13  Paulina  Manuscript Discussion  We will discuss the paper "Effect of feeding cows in early lactation with diets differing in roughage-neutral detergent fiber content on intake behavior, rumination, and milk production" by Adin et al., 2009.




Spring 2015
  1. Meetings will be on Mondays 1:20 - 2:30 pm, room 654 Animal Sciences Building.
  2. The main goal of the meeting is to allow each presenter to update the group and seek feedback from the participants on issues that they are currently facing in their research project, regardless of its stage (planning, implementation, data analysis, or manuscript development.)
 Week Date   Name  Topic  Notes
 1  January 26  Sanjeewa  Presentation of PhD. Research (Effect of DDG in dairy diets).  
 2  February 2  Fei  Planning methane emission / Nitrogen utilization trial  
 3  February 9  Marina & Bethany  Effect of Amount of AA Supply on Mammary AA Metabolism  Abstract to Midwest ADSA
 4 February 16  Matias  Methane emission data from cow subject to SARA  
 5  February 23  Nelson  Comparison of GC vs. HPLC methods for AA quantification  
 6  March 2  Margaret  Methods of calculation of MPP:MUNP ratio with "DHIA" data  ADSA Abstracts deadline
 7  March 9  Tiago  Prediction of Urinary and Urinary Urea-N Excretion in late Lactation  
 8  March 16  Margaret  Milk Protein Production to Milk Urea Production ratio (MPP:MUNP) as an indicator of cow N metabolism   NACTA Abstracts deadline
 9  March 23  Marina  PhD Research presentation   
 10  March 30  Fei Discussion of dairy diets to test effects of souces of NFC on performance and methane emission (at two level of RDP/RUP)  Spring break 
 11  April 6  Nelson  Effects of Lys supplementation on corn based diets  
 12  April 13  Matias  Summary of 2 Tannin trials on cow performance, N partitioning and emissions  
 13  April 20  Tiago  Change in N digestion and metabolism associated with low CP diet in late lactation  
 14  April 27  Sanjeewa  Modification of quantification of Starch   
 15  May 4  Omar  Research Plan  




Keywords:Fall 2016 Nutrition Group Weekly Meetings   Doc ID:46297
Owner:Michel W.Group:DS Dairy Nutrient Main
Created:2015-01-20 10:09 CSTUpdated:2021-11-10 08:03 CST
Sites:DS Dairy Nutrient Main
Feedback:  0   0