Emeritus status is an honorary designation conferred upon retirees to recognize their contributions and accomplishments over their university careers. Requirements include completion of ten or more years of distinguished service at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and permanent employee status at the University of Wisconsin–Madison with eligibility to receive an annuity from the Wisconsin Retirement System. Emeritus status is available to academic staff, university staff, and faculty. Recommendations begin at the department level and proceed through the Dean's office to the Office of the Chancellor. Extension employees granted emeritus status will need to have an emeritus Person of Interest (POI) record in HRS.
- Extension employees who previously received emeritus status from UW-Extension had their privileges transferred to UW-Madison as part of the UW Colleges and UW-Extension Restructuring. These individuals should continue to identify that they are UW-Extension emerita as that correctly identifies the relationship with the granting body.
- Extension employees applying for and receiving emeritus status after July 1, 2019 will receive status from UW-Madison. These individuals should identify as UW-Madison emerita.
- This retirement brochure contains privileges for UW-Madison Retirees and Emerita.
Process for Division of Extension Employees to Apply for UW-Madison Emeritus Status
- Follow the instructions outlined in Ending Employment - Retirement - Emeritus/Emerita Status
- After successful application, please email ASU HR - Extension Division to verify that you have an Extension POI (type 21) Emeritus record in HRS.
Process for UW-Extension Emerita to Obtain UW-Madison Privileges
- UW-Extension emeritus (must have received emeritus status when Extension was Cooperative Extension under UW-Colleges & Extension) becomes aware that they do not have a UW-Madison NetID or email account.
- The emeritus employee fills out the POI form and signs it. The information is necessary to ensure that no duplicates are created in HRS.
- The completed form must be faxed to the UW-Madison Administrative Services Unit (ASU). It cannot be emailed. Fax and contact information is on the POI Form.
- ASU OHR will enter the information in HRS to create an emeritus POI record. ASU OHR will contact Extension Divisional HR regarding the appropriate UDDS code.
- ASU OHR will send you an email with NetID activation instructions.